Sunday, June 03, 2007



So this morning was my latest venture into the world of athletics - the Playa del Run 5k run at Bolsa Chica. First off, I'd like to point out to Editthis that I carved a whopping 45 seconds off my previous personal best for the year of 38:15, and came in at 37:30.

Ok, so I didn't reach my goal of 36 minutes, but I also showed up this morning with a bit of poor planning behind me. Maybe drinking yesterday from 11 am to 5 pm (I went to a wedding, I wasn't sitting home alone) wasn't the best race preparation. Maybe not eating anything since the noon wedding buffet the previous day was not the best way to "carbo load". Maybe running twice in the past couple of months wasn't quite enough training. Nevertheless, I cowboyed up, and ran the whole thing. My friends and I rewarded ourselves in the usual way - a heavy, fat and calorie laden breakfast and cocktails. So, in retrospect, making out like I'm an athlete has some redeeming values . . .

11 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

breakfast makes it all worthwhile, eh?

1:20 PM  
Blogger v said...

On the bright side, at this rate you'll hit 36 minutes on the next 5k.

Seriously, its much more about the activity than the time. And you did it with friends, and I'm sure you all had a wonderful time.

I'm no longer a betting man, but if I was, I'd wager good money you hit 35 minutes next time.

1:35 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Hey, you ran it, right? Don't sweat the time!!

7:16 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I think it's awesome you did the race coming off vacation and a wedding! Congrats!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Congrats - You are a fierce woman. Vacay and a 5K. I would have been too tired after vacation to even walk around the block. Kudos!

10:02 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Great improvement! See what being drunk and dehydrated can do for you? Glad to hear you refreshed yourself in a proper manner following the race.

10:08 PM  
Blogger ffleur said...

funny post!

10:57 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - hey, the simple pleasures are the best, right?

v - I hope you're right on the time, and I know you're right on the other!

flix - thanks!

la - not recommended though - too much for me in one weekend!

ryan - I was beyond tired yesterday afternoon

edit - never again - it was miserable!

ffleur - thanks!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

The only time I run is when they are getting ready to close up the buffet line, so I can fill up my plate again. You are a Nike goddess, don't worry about the time.

Glad you're back!

9:43 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

You have no idea how impressed I am with your time. Good lord, I'd be the one closing the race coming in at 4hrs and 39 minutes. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Congrats! Was the wedding nice?

11:39 AM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

Early today I decided to run a 5k...I'm not quite sure what time I'll be aiming for. I've managed to convince a co-worker and possibly my boss to run with me.

Congrats on still going! I would have wanted to spend the day in bed after attending a wedding!!

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home