Sunday, May 20, 2007





I've recently learned that many bloggers are involved with summer reading challenges, revolving around different genres of books. A couple caught my eye . . .


The first is Maggie’s Southern Reading Challenge, which encourages readers to explore the world of books by Southern authors, set in the South. Following the recommendations of Sage, I'm going to read the following this summer:


Flannery O'Conner - Wise Blood
Robert Raurk - The Old Man and the Boy
Guy Owen - The Ballad of the Flim-Flam Man


I was unable to find any of these books at my local Barnes and Noble, but found them all online. The Flim-Flam Man was particularly challenging, since it is apparently out of print. Both Amazon.com and B&N online offered used copies through outside sellers. There were 2 copies offered on Amazon, but the least expensive was nearly $40. I did find a seller on B&N - a used bookstore in Tennessee - offering it for $10, so we're good to go!

The other challenge that caught my attention is Liz’s Summer Mystery Reading Challenge. Liz is encouraging readers to read 6 books this summer by mystery authors that they have never read before. I have picked out some books my Margery Allingham, Dorothy Sayers, and John D. MacDonald, among others.

I'm looking forward to a good summer of reading, and plan to get started while in Maui!

7 Comments:

Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Where do you find the time? I cancelled my Sunday paper because I don't have time to read it. I barely have time to read a handful of blogs.

9:30 AM  
Blogger sage said...

WOW! Great selection. Maybe I'll write a short teaser review of the Old Man and the Flim-Flam Man.

I'm surprised you had such a hard time finding the Flim-Flam Man, it was reprinted in 2000 by the Coastal Carolina Press. I've seen Ruark's book in our local sporting goods store--I was amazed! I've not read Wise Blood. A couple of summers ago I read Flannery O'Conner's collected short stories while reading a book by Ralph Wood, "Flannery O'Conner and the Christ-Haunted South." Maybe I'll have to add Wise Blood to my summer plans.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

dan - no spouse; no kids! Actually, I read 6 - 7 books a month, mostly mysteries, so this isn't much of a burden . . . :-)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - please do!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I am reading "Heyday" by Kurt Andersen. As soon as my television choices dry up, which will be in a week or so, I will have more time to focus on reading.

2:29 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

My hometown library holds a library camp every summer for little kids. I used to be a "camper" years ago and they would hold Reading Challenges. I have always been a pretty fast reader and usually did quite well.

I might google search for some different types of reading challenges to get me through the summer.

8:36 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

Thanks for joining Diane! Your list is wondie! ;D

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home