Friday, February 16, 2007





Hopefully, my next Yellowstone photos will contain something more than this tree and snow . . . wolves, elk, river otters, me in a hot spring, drinking dandelion wine . . . ok, strike the dandelion part.


I have done all that I can to prepare for this trip - I have down filled clothes, thinsulate clothes, polartec clothes and garish handknit wool clothes. I have clavas, gloves, boots, long underwear and heat packs. What this all means, is that the temperature will be mild and I will look like an idiot walking around in insulated pants.

My amazon order of cheesey british crime thrillers failed to arrive, so I will be bringing Jane Eyre along with a Henry James doubleheader of Turn of the Screw and the Aspern Papers. Instead of reading either, I will likely pick up some page turner at the airport, or left at the cabins by a past guest, or watch missed episodes of the Office and 30 Rock downloaded on my iPod.

I don't have a portable in progress knitting project, so I will bring along some sock yarn and double pointed needles. I did have one sock half done, but realized as I was turning the heel (LA will understand) that the pattern was wrong, and, thus, the turn was off-center, so I "frogged" it (rip-it, rip-it) and need to start over.

My brother and the guy downstairs will be dog-sitting the girls for me, so they get to stay at home while I am gone. Oh, and there are only 10 shopping days left for Hanna's 7th birthday on the 26th. Gift ideas include food, toys, bones, and food.

I'll be back on the 22nd, and I assume I won't have internet access before then, so until then, be happy all! And remember that it is "Practice Random Acts of Kindness Week."

14 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Hope you have a blast in Yellowstone. I also hope that getting there ISN'T half the adventure.

3:24 PM  
Blogger v said...

Yeah, have an absolutely stellar time in Y-stone. And I think you might be over prepared for your down time. I say you won't have much since you'll be hiking and enjoying nature and stuff. But definitely watch THE OFFICE and 30 ROCK eps on your iPod. You'll find they'll be the perfect relaxation after a long day of nature loving. And remember, lots of photos! Once again, have a wonderful time!

3:46 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

If the weather at Yellowstone is anything like the arctic blast we have here, you'll need all that gear.
But I think you're going to have a really great time!
Look forward to the photos and stories!!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

ryan - me too!

v - thanks! yeah I do over plan for down time, but I like having it with me, and it doesn't take up too much space . . .

6:09 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

flix - thanks!

6:09 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I can't wait to see your pictures upon your return. Have a fantastic trip, Diane!

I can empathize on frogging heels due to mistakes in patterns. Been there. Were you doing Caruso from knitty.com by any chance?

6:19 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - no, I got the pattern from this sock calculator website - basic sock pattern, input the gauge etc., but this part was clearly wrong - or at least clear to me once I got most the way through it!

And I will definitely take lots of pictures! See ya soon

6:56 PM  
Blogger kookla100 said...

I know that you're going to have a fantastical time and I'm really amazed that technology is going to even play a part in such natural surroundings. But I'm also sad because The Rant won't be the same without you while you're gone. And I'm extra-especially bummed at the fact that you chose to leave on the day when Britney Spears went nuts and completely shaved her head.

I hope you're having a wonderful time! Koo

3:39 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Hope you have a great time (I know you will) and can't wait to see the photos. Hannah is so cute! She is so very Wally.

5:07 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I can't wait to hear all about your trip! Have a blast. I'm sure Nanners and Noodles will miss you, but probably get spoiled rotten by their sitters.

7:15 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Since there's nothin new to read here, suppose I really should go out and practice some random acts of kindness. I hope your trip is going well and you are having a blast.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you're having a great time:)

5:11 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Looks like you made it despite Delta's best efforts to keep you grounded. Hope you're having a blast and staying warm enough!

12:17 PM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

Have fun! Stay warm and safe.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home