Sunday, February 11, 2007



What an interesting idea . . .

Today I saw a commercial for Great Courses from the Teaching Company, which advertises itself as a source of lectures on a variety of topics by the world's best professors. They offer hundreds of courses in: Business and Economics; Fine Arts and Music; History - Ancient and Medieval; History - Modern; Literature and English Language; Philosophy and Intellectual History; Religion; Science and Mathematics; and Social Sciences.

The cost of the courses vary widely, and can involve many hours and hundreds of dollars; others are more reasonable with both time and money. (They also seem to have an extensive "sale" list). Perhaps I will try to expand my mind beyond what I learned listening to Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. I do think certain books, such as Homer's The Iliad, and much of Shakespeare, are best appreciated in a teaching/learning environment. I was a good student, and unfortunately, I think I am getting out of practice with learning, and I believe that it is a skill that should be nurtured for life. Perhaps it isn't too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

4 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

I took an anthropology class at LBCC about 8 years ago for enrichment. It was inexpensive and fun.

11:20 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

If I could afford it, I think I would be a life-long student. But I'm a nerd like that.

Their one course on Explaining Social Deviance sounded interesting to me.

Let us know if you end up signing up for one!

9:49 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Diane, you ain't an old dog till you get the letter that I did last month...

I have used some of these tapes, but it was 6 or so years ago and they were tapes then. A couple of us got different sets and traded them around. I listened to the lectures on Isalm, and also the religions of India and China--they were very well done--a lecture setting with knowledgable teachers.

9:54 AM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

I saw this comercial as well and I am seriously thinking about buying them (especially the Social Science one)

Like Mishy I love going to school and learning new things. If it were a career choice I would be a life long student.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home