Sunday, February 11, 2007



The Police opened the Grammys tonight, so I had to tune in. Sting looks f-ing amazing, and can still the high notes on "Roxanne".

I know I'm way old because fewer and fewer musical acts are on even blips on my radar, but thank God for iTunes . . .

I thought the Dixie Chicks looked and sounded AMAZING . . . and I'm thrilled they won song of the year. If that lame ass James Blunt song won, I would have put my foot through the tv . . .

I think Justin Timberlake is way more talented than anyone could have guessed from 'n sync . . .

I like how Prince seems to always have a secret that makes him have a knowing, sly smile . . .

Beyonce seems less impressive than she used to be . . .

I loved Tony Bennett thanking Target, my favorite store, and it's good to see Stevie Wonder still making great music after 45 years - these two are truly music legends . . .

Cool duet - Shakira and Wyclef Jean. She makes me want to sign up for the local parks and rec bellydancing class . . . Girlfriend brought sexy back to the Grammys . . . Wyclef's pants may have been falling off, but dude did do a back handspring . . .

How friggin' short is Burt Bacharach? Or is Seal a giant?

Ludacris giving a shout out to Bill O'Reilly? Is it wrong that I avoid supporting Republicans almost as much as I avoid supporting Scientologists? Oh well, it's not like I was planning to run out and buy the best Rap album, even if Ludacris did say it was a masterpiece . . . though Ludacris was probably referring to O'Reilly causing Pepsi to pull a sponsorship of Ludacris because of explicit lyrics.

Mary J. Blige has a helluva set of pipes. Her collaboration with U2 on One is the most played song on my iPod . . .

Did Carrie Underwood really need to change clothes between songs in the tribute to Bob Wills and the Eagles? Have I mentioned lately that (Dixie Chicks aside) I hate country music? I can appreciate the old school country of Patsy Cline and her like, but Rascal Flatts and Carrie
Underwood? Yuck. And the singer for Rascal Flatts has less charisma than the front man of any band I can think of . . .

Smokey Robinson singing Tears of a Clown, however, has me back on board for the final hour, though I do question his choice of earrings . . . or maybe they're ear plugs?

Nice to be reminded that Lionel Richie is famous for more than being skinny Nicole's dad . . .

Chris Brown was pretty cool too - and any performance that incorporates a trampoline is alright by me . . .

Christina may be taking the '40s glamour a bit far, but it serves her better than her skank-trashtic look of a few years ago . . .

Nice touch having the school kid pianist and violinist play a quick lick . . .

I have to admit that I have never really been a big fan of James Brown . . .

Ok, that Ludacris/Mary J. Blige song was already done by Aerosmith as Janey's Got a Gun . . .

I have to go now, James Blunt is singing and I need to turn the station quick . . . .

12 Comments:

Blogger GetFlix said...

I thought it was a really good show this year.

10:11 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I didn't watch, but I enjoyed your stream of consciousness post! I'm going to look for The Police on YouTube.com. I can't believe I forgot to tune in!

11:15 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

When the Police opened the show, I thought to myself, "what year is it, 1985?" I understand that they have reunited, but really, 'did it feel so good' that they could open up the 2007 Grammy Awards?!?

Sometimes I think that the people that run that organization are out of touch with reality.

I was so pissed that Carrie Underwood won best new artist. Imogen Heap was robbed!

And you know how I feel about the Dixie Chicks. One word - VINDICATION

8:14 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Thanks for the recap. Since I abhor awards shows, I didn't watch. I would have liked to have seen The Police, though.

Also, I f-ing HATE HATE HATE country music.

8:27 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm glad the Dixie Chicks won 5 awards. Their last album is amazing.

Also, Mary J. Blige did quite well for herself; her wins were well deserved.

I am unimpressed with Carrie Underwood. Always have been.

Oh, and Prince's secret? Apparently he's found the fountain of youth. He doesn't age, EVER.

James Blunt is unbearable.

Finally, Justin Timberlake is my new crush. He's just so damned hot.

9:56 AM  
Blogger sage said...

You have made me sad that I missed it, but then I'm not a big TV person. I like the idea of liking the Dixie Chicks, not for their music but for their political stands. Being from Dixie, there's also something about that name!

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved The Police performance... changed the channel immediately after.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I hate this new blogger. For some reason I'm having trouble leaving comments. Is anyone else having this problem?

4:26 PM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

Pru so am I! I hate blogger Beta!!!!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

flix - I actually thought it was good too

la - let me know if you find it!

ryan - yeah, I like the Police, but I'm not sure the masses have been clamoring for a reunion

edit - oh, you would have loved the never ending Rascal Flatts/Carrie Underwood Eagles medley

Mishy - oddly enough, I had a dream about JT last night . . .
:-)

sage - I admire them too, and they really are talented gals

joe - if there was something else on, I might have done the same!

pru, pix - I'm still on old blogger though they are trying to force a switch!

6:20 PM  
Blogger THN said...

Only one song for the cops, though?

10:19 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

adam - yep, one police song and yet a never ending tribute to the Eagles done at a bar band level

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home