Thursday, February 15, 2007



I have been knitting for about 2 ½ years, and I have to say there are so many aspects of this craft that I love, one of which is the social consciousness that seems to pervade the craft, (and to cross political lines), whether knitting blankets for sick babies, sweaters for refugees in Afghanistan, prayer shawls for cancer survivors, or supporting the efforts of the inhabitants of third world countries to improve their lot in life.
The newest issue of Interweave Knits has a great article on the nomadic people of Mongolia and the beautiful yarn
they spin from camel hair gathered from the herds they raise. There are many parts of the world where spinning yarn from llamas, camel, sheep and goats, gives the indigenous population, and women in particular, economic opportunities that would otherwise be denied to them. Mongolia is struggling to make the transition from communism under the Soviet Union to independence in a system that does not even provide schools for its children. I can hardly wait to try on my first pair of camel hair socks or mittens.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

Diane - If you ever want to try spinning, I have a drop spindle and some roving in the trunk of my car. Also, I can get you in touch with the OC spinning guild, I'm on their email list.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - thanks! I like the idea of spinning alot . . . for when my loner tendencies take over and I live on a few acres w/ my dogs, some livestock, chickens, fruit trees, vegetable garden and lovely perennial bulbs and roses . . . and spin my own yarn from the wool I shear. For now though, I'll probably stick to ABYC and the internet! :-)

11:18 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Oh I have that fantasy too! Only mine includes a hot farmer that lives next door who comes over and has kinky sex with me all over my rustic kitchen.

6:58 AM  
Blogger v said...

Knitting seems like a pretty cool hobby. Which means knitting for charity or a good cause is supercool. I think we all can't wait to see these Mongolian yarn socks and mittens. Mucho props to you Diane!

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home