Saturday, February 03, 2007




Forget Vista - Microsoft needs to develop smell-o-vision . . .

This weekend's slow cooker meal is baby back ribs. I marinated them overnight in some barbeque sauce, browned them in the oven, and now they are slow cooking. The smell in the house this morning is divine . . . And who are they kidding by adding broccoli as a side dish in the recipe photograph? Anybody who serves broccoli in lieu of potato salad and baked beans is no friend of mine.

Last night I finished watching a BBC mini-series produced in 1987 - A Perfect Spy - an adaptation of the John LeCarre novel. LeCarre is one of my favorite authors, and the BBC always does a nice job producing adaptations of his work. In A Perfect Spy, early in WWII, we meet young Magnus Pym. Magnus' father is a con artist, and is being hauled off to prison on Christmas Eve. Young Magnus and his mother are forced to go live with her stern, religious, disapproving brother until she has a breakdown and is institutionalized. Eventually, Magnus' father Rick comes and takes him away, and begins to incorporate young Magnus into the cons. As a teen, Magnus is stranded in Switzerland after the Pyms are out-conned, where he finagles his way into the expatriate British community, which mainly consists of Brits working for "the Firm" - the British spy agency.

Magnus is easily incorporated into this community, and eventually betrays his only true friend - a poor Czech living in the same boarding house. This betrayal, and his father's influence, eventually lead him into the life of a spy - not for the Brits, but working for the Czechs. This is one of LeCarre's best books, and I also recommend this BBC production.

Tomorrow I am walking a 5k in the 11th annual Pacific Shoreline marathon, half-marathon and 5k. The friend I am going with has bad knees and doesn't want to run it, so we will be walking. I ran in the inaugural 5k 11 years ago, and walked the half-marathon in 2002 in preparation for an Avon 3 day, 60 mile walk for charity. I
am mainly looking forward to the beer garden afterwards . . . .

I am already signed up for another charity golf tournament in six weeks time at Coto de Caza Golf Club. A woman I have golfed with before bought a foursome for this tournament, and needed another gal, so I will be joining the group as her guest. The course is rated one of the best in Orange County, and this is a great opportunity to play a private course I can't otherwise even afford to play. So, back to the driving range, and back to practicing my chipping and pitching.

Although I have plenty of books to read around the house, I still have a holiday gift card from Barnes and Noble, and may go book shopping to take a break from the depressing novel I started probably 2 weeks ago and am still slogging through (see below). In the few pages I read in the bath tub this morning, it looks like Joel is being lured into the snare of a child molestor, and his sister just got arrested for mugging a woman - fun times!

Here's hoping everyone has a great weekend.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love broccoli as a side with grilled chicken... but with ribs, not so much.

I'm doing lamb and rice today, Greek style, of course.

12:19 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

You sure have a lot going on. The LA Kings have a 5K run later this month that a friend and I are thinking of doing. I haven't run in so long, I'll be lucky if I don't have to stop and walk.

3:09 PM  
Blogger v said...

I'm guessing the charity walk is before the Super Bowl? Though perhaps you'll watching the game at your favorite beer garden. In any case, way to go on the charity events and I'm sure you'll walk all over them. Okay, that didn't come out right.

And speaking of Le Carre, have you seen THE CONSTANT GARDENER? I'm guessing you've probably read it too. I haven't, but the film version is superb.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Yikes are you trying to torture me with those ribs? I'm eating beans and rice again. It's a good thing those smell-o-vision haven't been invented yet.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Joe and ffleur - broccoli is, of course, an excellent vegie, but has it's place - like w/ healthy foods!

ffleur - that is a great book, and also an excellent BBC movie with Sir Alec Guinness

edit - that sounds like a fun 5k - so what if you walk some?

v - it is held every year on Super Bowl Sunday! The Constant Gardener is really good . . .

pru - oh man, they are going to be good - it's almost time for dinner! But I do love beans and rice

4:48 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Nanners and Noodles must go crazy from the smell of all the good food you cook!

9:30 PM  
Blogger sage said...

the ribs sound great--and this down east NO boy (where they know how to do babyback ribs) thinks you're right about the broccoli! I like mine with dutch oven potatoes and maybe some hushpuppies and of course some cole slaw.

Enjoy your walk and your golf.

3:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home