Sunday, February 04, 2007



It is a beautiful, sunny day here in Southern California. This morning we ran/walked a 5k in Huntington Beach. All of the races - the marathon, half-marathon, and 5 k - were sold out. There were 3000 participants in the 5k alone.

Michelob sponsored a beer tent - I imbibed in "Peels" - a new malt beverage/wine cooler that is quite tasty. Your race bib got you two free drinks, and as we approached the tent, there was a big sign noting that photo id was required. Given that my age, 45, is listed on my bib, I thought this was overkill. When the 50-ish lady asked me for photo id, I looked at her, reminded her of my age, noted I lacked photo id, and waited for my id bracelet, which she handed over after a brief hesitation. I wish there was a question as to my age, but there is none as to whether I am over or under the age of 21.

My brother and I finished off the last of the ribs for lunch - they were even better the second day. I am invited to a friend's to watch the Super Bowl, but I think I will just hang around here, and maybe try to get some errands done in the next few hours before the game begins, while the rest of So Cal is getting drunk.

Oh, and I was pleased to not be the only 5k participant wearing a Chargers sweatshirt/shirt.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

ffleur - they did have all kinds of healthy goodies there too - water and sports drinks, whole grain chips, fruit and bagels . . . we just headed to the beer tent - you know, to avoid the crowds, and b/c they had cute HB firefighters serving as bartenders!

7:46 PM  
Blogger LA said...

What a smart idea to have HB firefighters dropping trou and serving cocktails!

It was a beautiful, perfect day to run the race!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Damn, I would have gone straight to the beer tent as well, even if there weren't any firefighters. Although I am sure i would have ran over to the beer tent if I knew there were firefighters serving as bartenders. I am sure that would be deemed a 5.01K race.

5:28 PM  
Blogger THN said...

I've always wanted to do that race, but Las Vegas is too inviting.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home