Saturday, January 27, 2007



My brush with greatness, Rick Dees version

In 1979, Liz, Tracy and I were waiting in line in Liz's Volvo to get on the ferry to take us from the Balboa peninsula to Balboa Island. I can only imagine what we were listening to on the 8-Track tape player, but My Sharona or something from Born to Run are good guesses.

The car ahead of us was a "kit" car - a pseudo sports car that you ordered as some sort of kit, and built yourself. The personalized license plate . . . "HUNKER". As we watched, the man in the car got out and went to talk to the women in the car ahead of him - he was wearing a smokin' hot KHJ radio black satin jacket. After a few minutes he came back and leaned in our car and told us that he had hooked up with the women in the car ahead, and he was going to move his car to park it, and get in their car. The man? KHJ DJ Rick Dees. Why he thought he owed us an explanation, I have no idea. Maybe he just wanted some other person to know he was gettin' lucky.

16 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

Hilarious story. I remember Rick Dees, and the word "douche" comes readily to mind.

(I remember KHJ, too!)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - exactly - everything he did in the 20 years after this just re-enforced his douche image in my mind

2:17 PM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

wow. talk about rubbing elbows with greatness. who is he again?

2:23 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

kitty - he was the number one top 40 dj in LA - had the morning show in 102.7, and when he retired/got fired, Seacrest took it over.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Rick Dees gettin lucky? (snicker)

7:17 PM  
Blogger v said...

Wow. So after the "great" Rick Dees "retired" the Seacrest took over?

I hate to say this Diane but Southern California should never get an NFL team as punishment for bringing the world Rick Dees and Ryan Seacrest.

7:40 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I don't really know him either, but I was wondering if maybe he was checking you out before he cast his lot with the other car.

V, are you saying that Southern CA doesn't have a pro-football team? That's quite a charge against SD.

7:52 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Oh snap, V! Those Chargers fans are coming after you!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I know what V meant - no NFL team in the LA/OC area - SD is really a whole 'nother world.

sage - we were teenagers at the time . . . and we still thought he was creepy

v - another case of migrants to so cal giving us natives a bad name!

9:22 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

The only things that come to mind when I hear "Rick Dees" is his super slick radio voice and that stupid jingle: "Rick Deeeeees! And the weekly top fourTY!"

10:54 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

mishy and Ffleur - yep, that was Dees!

4:34 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I remember seeing ads for those kit cars. They never seemed safe and were pretty ugly.

5:25 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Diane - Have fun @ your best ball tourney tomorrow!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

flix - that pretty much describes the car!

la - thanks! hopefully it won't rain - I'm pretty terrified, but the good news is that this has really lit a fire under me to get out and work on my golf game - and I can see improvement at the range at least!

8:44 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I reject you totally. Rick Dees does not equate "greatness."

7:50 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - well, think of it as the Dees level of greatness, or not great at all!

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home