Friday, November 03, 2006


Countdown to the Who, Day 4.

The Who are listed by many artists as a band that inspired them, including, the Clash, The Sex Pistols, U2, and The Ramones.

I had the distinct pleasure of seeing the Ramones play some time around 1980, when the line up was Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee and Marky. A Ramones’ show is exactly how you would imagine it - 2 minute songs played one after another at break neck speed. The only thing that separated such classic songs as Blitzkrieg Bop, Beat on the Brat, I Wanna Be Sedated, and Sheena is a Punk Rocker, was Dee Dee yelling out "onetwotreefour" [sic] to signal the start up of the next song. . . .
So in honor of the Ramones, today’s Who song is their little ditty on teenage rebellion - My Generation

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
This is my generation
This is my generation, baby
Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
This is my generation
This is my generation, baby
Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to d-dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a b-big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
This is my generation
This is my generation, baby
People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we g-g-get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Yeah, I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

7 Comments:

Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Words cannot express how much I envy you for getting to see The Ramones play. I'm seriously green!

7:09 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

You saw The Ramones? God damn, Diane. I think we need to start hanging out. You'd up my cool factor.

9:16 AM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Diane - have a great time at the concert this weekend.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope this works this time... I keep getting an error message when trying to post.

Have a great time, Diane.

1:01 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Have fun at The Who tonight!

4:15 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I hope The Who show rocked!! My first concert was The Ramones. I was 14!!! It was at a small community college.

I managed to see them about six more times through the late 80's. Talk about fun.

7:44 PM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

Diane it has always been my dream to see The Ramones play. I am so jealous that you got to see them before Joey died.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home