Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I think we can all agree on what this guy’s punishment should be . . .

A jury Wednesday found an Ethiopian immigrant guilty of the genital mutilation of his 2-year-old daughter in what was believed to be the first criminal case in the United States involving the ancient African tradition. Khalid Adem, 30, was convicted of aggravated battery and cruelty to children. He could get up to 40 years in prison. Prosecutors said Adem used scissors to remove his daughter's clitoris in his family's Atlanta-area apartment in 2001. The child's mother, Fortunate Adem, said she did not discover it until more than a year later. During her father's trial, the girl, now 7, clutched a teddy bear as she testified on videotape that her father "cut me on my private part."

OFF WITH HIS "HEAD"!

11 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I can't believe that he didn't get off. I can't believe the ACLU wasn't there arguing that it was his right to mutilate his daughter's genitalia because it was okay to do so in his culture.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

ryan - as long as there are any women in the aclu, no one was gonna defend this dude . . .

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you, Diane.

3:04 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

It sickens me that any father would do that do his own daughter.

3:43 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I think the mother should change her name from Fortunate to something else.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I hope you all know that I was being sarcastic!
I despise the ACLU!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

ryan - we got it!!! And don't despise the ACLU - we amy all disagree with alot of the positions they take, they play a valuable role - like public defenders do - in keeping the system honest!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

K, I worded it wrong, I hate what the ACLU has turned into over the past 30 years!

5:14 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I can only hope that something good will come from this case by shining a light on the issue of FGM. Its more prevalent than one might first think in many cultures and many countries.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

mishy - I think that is the case - apparently while there were federal laws against it, many states, including Georgia, did not have laws addressing it. But more states, including Georgia are passing laws prohibiting FGM - it was just too late for this specific case . . .

ryan - :-)

11:44 AM  
Blogger v said...

Glad to see he was apprehended and brought to trial. And that a case like this will bring about anti-FGM laws. Hopefully as more people are aware of FGM more will be done in the countries in which FGM is common.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home