Wednesday, October 08, 2008


Today is street sweeping day in my neighborhood, which means all cars have to be off of certain streets by 8 am. I moved my car about 7, but had some difficulty finding a good place to park. I found a parking spot on Pacific Coast Highway, and went home to get ready for work. By the time I got to my car about 8:45, I was in the midst of what passes for a three alarm fire in my neck of the woods. This photo is taken sitting in my car. That's a fire engine to my right, another is behind it, there at least 3 more up ahead, and one off to my left. No fire, as far as I could tell, (and I'd walked past the subject building about 7 am with the dogs), but plenty of fire trucks.
With the help of a neighbor to direct me, I was able to squeeze my car through there, and head off to work.
Thanks to everyone for their support regarding my upcoming trip. Gal in Charge just walked by my office and reminded me that will be on a plane in 48 hours. I can hardly wait. Plus, my seat is not directly adjacent to the other gals, and no matter how much I protest, I guarantee they will be those annoying people on planes who try to make people switch seats so that some group can all sit together.
Clearly, I am not a group-type person. Clearly, my plan to finish The Monkey Wrench Gang and start the new John LeCarre thriller is not going to pan out . . .
Thanks to Sage for suggesting Crabby Jacks - anyone else have a favorite place to eat or visit in New Orleans?

9 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

I can't wait to read your take on the Monkey Wrench gang! Have fun down there-I hope Crabby Jacks is still open (i'd go at lunch)

12:48 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

I know you already mentioned it, but try not to miss Cafe du Monde! The coffee is so delicious.

2:44 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I like wandering around the Garden District. Lots of old homes, and the setting of many an Anne Rice book. Really spectacular old houses. Take the Charles Street car up - I think it's $1.

4:27 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Did you ever finish Youth In Revolt?

I hate street sweeping day, or at least I did before I got a place in the garage.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - I'll post a review when I finish!

Tiffany - I looked up the address and definitely plan to check it out.

Edit - great suggestion!

La - I did finish it and really hot a kick out of it

5:20 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Sadly I've never been to New Orleans!

I definitely could use a vacation..one with nothing to do but read!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

You can visit my cousin Bruce. He lives in the French Quarter. Watch out though, he's kind of perverted.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

kat - sounds like a tropical beach would be a good spot!

Pru - I'm not sure I'm up to a guy who is considered a perv . . . in the French Quarter

9:04 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hope you're having a blast in 'nawlins!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home