Tuesday, October 07, 2008


I leave Friday for New Orleans, and I have sort of mixed emotions. I'm going with 4 other women who drink like I'm a teetotaler. I generally limit the amount of time I spend with them on a weekend, because I just don't have the time or inclination to spend all day in a dark bar, and then keep drinking into the night. While I probably could have hung with them 10 - 15 years ago, I'm not sure I even want to try any more. And even back in my party hardy days, the drinking usually revolved around some activity - like golfing, Rams' games and Kings' games.
On the one hand, I agreed to go because I figured I could use a do nothing weekend of debauchery as a contrast to my usual vacations - Yellowstone to wolf watch, hiking through the Berkshires, sight seeing in NYC, or kicking back in Maui. On the other hand, now that the time is here, I keep looking for an excuse to back out. I don't think I can come up with one and preserve my friendships, so off I go.
The gal in charge likes to travel cheaply, so the odds of my getting to go to any decent restaurants are zero and none. She likes to eat hot dogs from the Lucky Dogs carts almost exclusively. I have lobbied one other woman into insisting we go at least one morning to Cafe du Monde for beignets. Gal in charge also goes every year to the same palm reader/psychic. I generally dread her trips to New Orleans because of the hour long descriptions of what he said and how dead on he is. I may get my fortune told, but I'll insist on being alone with him. She won't like that, but I can't bear to have her telling everyone with ears or the ability to lip read what he said about me. Let's just say that discretion is NOT her middle name.
The good news is that the trip is almost for free. My airfare has been paid for by one of the bosses to thank me for a project, and although we can't stay at Gal in charge's time share due to Gustav damage, the hotel we're staying in is cheap.
I've also been told exactly what to pack - shorts for Saturday, capris for the other days, black jeans and nicer top for one evening. As a passive-aggressive act of rebellion, I plan to ignore this list. Plus, I have one pair of capris and they are white. Clearly, there is a reason I usually travel alone.
Anywhoo, I'm sure it will be fun, but I'm already dreading the hangover.

10 Comments:

Blogger EditThis said...

As I read your post, I tried to come up with something positive to say about your trip. Sorry...didn't happen.

What adult person gives another adult a list of what to pack on vacation?

I hope you have fun despite your friend.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

Yikes, after reading your post, and considering the pros and cons of the trip, I say drink up, and hope that the weekend goes by quickly!
And yeah, what editthis said.

1:49 PM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

Hi Diane!!!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Pixie!!!! How the hell are you? How's school?

edit, leo - I am going to give it the good ole college try! worse case scenario, I can beg off to go find a book store or yarn shop . ..

2:12 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I know how it is, sometimes I make plans to go away on a trip with someone and then regret it! Good luck!

6:30 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I've got something positive to say. Since your expectations are so low, the trip can only be better than you think it will be.

Right?

Okay, I'm not convinced. Sounds like Gal-in-Charge is an A-1 control freak, but I love your spirit of rebellion!

10:47 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I hope you have fun. As for packing, think hot and humid, even though it'll be a little milder in October.

This isn't exactly a five star place, but if you want a great po-boy check out Crabby Jacks on Jefferson--it's several miles west of downtown--it's more of a working class dive, but good sandwiches

4:02 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Wow. I'm a little scared of Gal in Charge. Hope you blog from the road. :) (And I do hope it's a fun trip!)

6:25 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

This is a tough one.

I'd say start off taking it easy, and then increase the alcohol intake in direct proportion to how unpleasant things are.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

During the wholesale pandora beads World War II, Art Deco jewellery was pandora silver beads a very popular style among women. The females started pandora glass beads wearing short dresses and cut their hair short. And cheap pandora beads such boyish style was accessorized with Art Deco jewellery. They used discount pandora beads long dangling earrings and necklaces, multiple bracelets and bold pandora beads sale rings.Art Deco jewellery has harshly geometric and symmetrical theme instead pandora earrings silver of free flowing curves and naturalistic motifs. Art Deco Jewelry pandora earrings sale today displays designs that consist of arcs, circles, rectangles, squares, and pandora sets triangles. Bracelets, earrings, necklaces and rings are added with long lines and curves.One cheap pandora sets example of Art Deco jewelry is the Art Deco new pandora bangles ring.Art Deco rings have sophisticated sparkle and bold styles. These rings are not intended for a subtle look, they are meant to be noticed. Hence, these are perfect for people with bold styles.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home