Saturday, October 18, 2008

So, the good news is that even with an intervening 5 day trip to New Orleans, I dropped .8 lbs over the last two weeks. Sure, it's not a huge amount, but better than going the other way. Thankfully, we did a lot of walking . . . My total weight loss is now 6 lbs.


Right before vacation, I finished up Black Like Me, as an audible book. It was published in 1961, and is a book every person should read. In 1959, John Howard Griffin, a white man from Texas, took some skin darkening medication , and for six weeks, lived in Louisiana and Mississippi* as a black man in the segregated South. Suddenly he had to deal with "hate stares", being called a n****r, being unable to obtain lodging, food, water, or employment from most establishments, and being forced to walk miles to find a restroom he was permitted to use.


We may be on the verge (fingers crossed), of electing a black man as president, but racism in this country still exists. I highly recommend this book for everyone to read.
Was anyone else offended by John McCain's dismissive use of air quotes around women's "health" during the debate this week when discussing abortion? I'd like to thank the senator for making it clear to women around the country what he truly thinks of us all.
McCain managed to keep his anger under control long enough to participate in the traditional roast at the Alfred E. Smith dinner this week. I didn't realize that this is a long standing tradition; while the charity dinner is held every year, during presidential election years, the two candidates are the featured speakers. They give (hopefully) humorous, self-deprecating, roast-style speeches, and both candidates scored big laughs. McCain really does possess good timing and a great dead pan delivery.
Obama was also very funny. My favorite line - "My greatest weakness? I might be too awesome."
And finally, on the not good news side of things, an ultrasound showed that Nanners' lymph nodes have gotten larger, a sign that the chemo isn't working. We're trying a different drug, but it may be time to switch from treatment mode, to keeping her comfortable for as long as possible mode.
* Yes, I did sing the spelling as I typed

14 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

I missed this week's debate. I'm glad that both were able to get in a few laughs at the Afred Smith dinner. Sorry to hear about Hanna.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm sorry your pup isn't doing well.

And, what a beautifully random post.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - I don't think you missed much!

Lisa - thanks for stopping by

2:55 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

What I don't get is that last week I ate so unbeliveable good and yet I didn't loose any weight at all...I just don't get it! Yet if I would have eaten ten brownies I probably would have weighed the same weight...

5:35 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Sorry to hear about Hanna.

9:07 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I feel terrible about Hanna. I sincerely wish the news was better. She's such a sweet girl.

4:37 PM  
Blogger LA said...

p.s. That McCain put air quotes around "health of the mother" was offensive in the extreme. I mean, truly dispicable.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

There is a drug that makes your skin darker? How do I get a hold of this? I would make a really weird looking black man I think, but I'd like to see if someone will try to mess with me when I go vote.

8:19 AM  
Blogger kookla@work said...

First of all, welcome back! I haven't been around much because we had one of those "up with people, down with the recession, get back to work" lectures at my place of employment. Oh and cut back on spending and stay later.

I remember "Black Like Me" and all of it's controversy. There was also a movie called "The Watermelon Man" with Gordfrey Cambridge who is a bigoted white man who wakes up black. Way ahead of it's time.

BTW: I think Barack's greatest weakness may be that he makes awesomeness look ridiculously easy.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Sad about Hanna! :( Keep us posted.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm offended by everything McCain and his pitiful campaign does. How low can they sink before this is over, I *shudder* to think.

Thanks for the book tip on "Black Like Me", it will be on my reading list. The south has rebelled since Lyndon Johnson passed the 1964 'Civil Rights Act'.

{{Hugs for Hanna}}

8:05 AM  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Karen suggested that I stop by after I mentioned that I had just finished reading Obama's book,"Dreams from my father". He is a fantastic writer in my opinion. He gives a clear picture of what it means to be black. White folks will probable never get it, but, hopefully, we can come close.

Glad to hear your are still on the right track in your weight control program. Trips can really do you in if you're not careful.

I hope Nanners will get on top of this thing. Prayers and positive energy are coming your way.

May love and peace be with you always.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

That's terrible news about Hanna. Poor pretty little girl. Give her a hug for me.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

During the wholesale pandora beads World War II, Art Deco jewellery was pandora silver beads a very popular style among women. The females started pandora glass beads wearing short dresses and cut their hair short. And cheap pandora beads such boyish style was accessorized with Art Deco jewellery. They used discount pandora beads long dangling earrings and necklaces, multiple bracelets and bold pandora beads sale rings.Art Deco jewellery has harshly geometric and symmetrical theme instead pandora earrings silver of free flowing curves and naturalistic motifs. Art Deco Jewelry pandora earrings sale today displays designs that consist of arcs, circles, rectangles, squares, and pandora sets triangles. Bracelets, earrings, necklaces and rings are added with long lines and curves.One cheap pandora sets example of Art Deco jewelry is the Art Deco new pandora bangles ring.Art Deco rings have sophisticated sparkle and bold styles. These rings are not intended for a subtle look, they are meant to be noticed. Hence, these are perfect for people with bold styles.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home