Friday, November 16, 2007


Yesterday, my order from Amazon.com arrived. As you can see, I went a little crazy. A couple of the items have been sitting in my "shopping cart" for awhile, and I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy them: a DVD of the Who performing Quadrophenia in concert (one of my all time favorite concerts, and one of my favorite albums); and a biography of James Herriot , written by his son.
If you're not familiar with Herriot's "All Creatures Great and Small" series, I highly recommend the books. Herriot was a veterinarian in the Yorkshire Dales in the 1930's (and for many years thereafter), and his tales of small town life are wonderful. I read them all many years ago, and last year I listened to the series - they are some of best books around to experience as an audible book.
I also bought a few new mysteries by authors I have not read before, but learned about at
Reviewed by Liz. Here's hoping for a rainy day this weekend where I can lay on the couch with a blanket and a good book!

11 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

I'm anxious to hear what you think of the James Herriot bio. May I borrow it when you're done?

Harley Jane Kozak used to be a soap opera actress. I had no idea she was an author now. Hilarious!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - absolutely!

8:39 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I too want to hear about Herriot's bio. Some interesting reading along with the Who! On my literary front, I think I'm going to have to save my ipod listening of Crime and Punishment for the summer--it's too dark for this time of year... Especially to follow it after Hiassen.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - did you like Hiassen?

12:03 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I loved him--I can't find Sick Puppy on audio so I have the book ordered.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Having read the other books (and enjoyed them, of course) I, too, am interested in the Herriot bio. It has been eons since I read those books. Probably worth a re-read - some of the situations were so funny!

Liz

4:51 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I read the Herriot books as a kid!!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Jack Getze said...

Thanks for making my day, Diane. You'll find out who I am when you start reading Big Numbers.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Maryannwrites said...

What a thrill to find another Herriot fan. I have not read the biography, but I read most of his books when they first came out. I worked for a veterinarian when I was going to college, so I could really connect to his books, even though we were primarily a small animal hospital.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Maryannwrites said...

What a thrill to find another Herriot fan. I have not read the biography, but I read most of his books when they first came out. I worked for a veterinarian when I was going to college, so I could really connect to his books, even though we were primarily a small animal hospital.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Maryannwrites said...

Sorry about the double message. I only hit "publish" once. I swear. :-)

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home