Sunday, October 28, 2007


Is it a sign of the Apocalypse when birds keep flying into your house? How 'bout Nosferatu, did he have anything to say about that?
Yesterday, I come out of my bedroom, and noticed a sparrow fluttering in the garden window above my kitchen sink. Thankfully, Hanna was temporarily oblivious to this development. So I stepped up on a kitchen chair with a dish towel and threw it over the bird, wrapped it up, and released it outside. My good deed for the day . . .
A few hours later, the dogs and I were in the front room when another sparrow came zooming in from the kitchen, pulled a U turn and headed back into the kitchen with the dogs and me in hot pursuit . . . before Hanna could snatch it out of the air, it cleared the sliding glass door and made it back outside.
Seriously, what are the odds?
Having spent most of the last 48 hours in bed with a skull splitting sinus headache, I am finally feeling a bit better today. In retrospect, it was a good decision to ignore the inclination to grab a pliers and pull out all the teeth in my upper left jaw to relieve the pressure.
Update - I'm 12-0 for the NFL games today . . . Go Packers tomorrow night! I don't have the whole pool's picks, but I gotta believe I'm in the running!

16 Comments:

Blogger prettykitty said...

diane, welcome back from your trip. i'm sorry to inform you that the fact that los angeles is burning to the ground is going to make your sinuses suffer until they are all contained.

i am super creeped out at birds. if you think my fear of dogs is bad, you should see how batshit crazy i get when something is fluttering around near me...

10:47 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Maybe you're stuck in some surreal reverse Windex advertisement or something.

12:29 PM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

My cats would have been going nuts! That's so weird!

Hope you feel better....

12:31 PM  
Blogger sage said...

The Birds were the scariest of Hitchcock's movies, IMHO

I hope your headache has subsided and you're feeling better and getting to enjoy at least one day this weekend

1:26 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Vic-o-din

4:06 PM  
Blogger LA said...

12-0 going into Monday night? That will cure a headache!

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How 'bout Nosferatu, did he have anything to say about that?

Nosferatu? Do you have birds or bats? You never know when that Count Orlok is gonna show up at your bedside looking for a nightcap. . . .

12:18 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

kitty- you probably don't want to be at my house when the dogs are going wacky trying to get to the fluttering birds

la - I'd believe that if my windows were ever clean

kat - the dogs go nuts too!

sage - I feel good today - just in time for the work week

edit - yeah, I need a new doctor - mine is too big on OTC medicine

la - nice, huh?

bucky - OMG, I meant Nostradamus!

12:28 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Birds creep me out to no end. You and your dogs are 10x braver than me. I would have just run into the bathroom, locked the door and hoped to hell it would find its own way out.

12:44 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Diane, you really know how to pick those games. Didn't you win last year?

1:49 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Once a bat got into my house and scared me half to death. It took forever to get it to fly out the door. I think there is some sort of southern superstition about bats in the house but I am too chicken to look it up.

There is no pain quite like sinus pain.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling better. I sympathize after having my top wisdom out last year and now I'm having the bottoms out next week.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

mishy - fortunately, I'm not bird phobic (just bug phobic)

flix - I won last year and twice in the past 4 weeks! this is good b/c it goes to replenish my vacation fund

pru - yikes - i'm not sure i'd be as easy going about a bat . . .

joe - thanks - I am feeling much better - and good luck to you next week

5:17 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

Hope you are feeling better. We get barn swallows in our house, they reside in the chimneys. We just open the hall door and shoo them towards the bright light.

8:15 PM  
Blogger THN said...

BTW, since you are the expert, who do you like in the Pats/Colts. Cris Collinsworth said that this one isn't even going to be close.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Adam - Pats, baby!

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home