Monday, October 22, 2007

NYC was a blast! I walked everywhere, even though my plan to wear cute leather boots the first day (partly in the rain) resulted in my tearing up my left foot pretty badly. Great, blisters even before I start my hiking trip!



The first day I breakfasted at a Nice Matin, then headed to the nearby Natural History Museum. From there, I walked through Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where they had a special exhibitition of Dutch Masters. Even though the Modern Art wing was closed, there was still plenty to see. (This is a Georgia O'Keefe). I finished up with High Tea at the Museum, walked home on the rain, and later headed out to see Avenue Q. Very funny show, and while walking home, I passed Peter Bogdanovich on the street near my hotel.

Day two I wised up and put on some tennis shoes. I had breakfast at what became my local restuarant, (great outdoor dining for people watching) Sarabeth’s, and grabbed a cab down to Soho.


I wanted to check out a local yarn store, and since it wasn't yet open, I headed over to Washington Square Park. (this is the arch there). I'm a big fan of the Henry James' novel, Washington Square, and also of the film adaptation, the Heiress, with Olivia deHavilland and Montgomery Clift. The Square is adjacent to NYU.

Weather was great, great people watching, and they even have a dog park.


10 Comments:

Blogger GetFlix said...

Diane, I don't know what is going on with the weather here, but you picked a great time to visit. Looks like you had a great time!!

9:08 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Welcome home (even though So Cal resembles the gates of hell right now).

Was the yarn shop you endeavored to visit Soho and were you eventually successful?

Looks like a great trip. Can't wait to hear all about it.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

flix - we did have great weather! It was gorgeous

la - I went first to Purl Soho and didn't buy any there, but found another LYS/cafe and did pick up some pretty wool!

p.s. we could see Malibu burning from the plane . . .

12:41 PM  
Blogger kookla@work said...

Welcome back!

Those pictures look cool. And I love Georgia O'Keefe. I also am familiar with wearing the wrong shoes on a trip, only to spend the entire time nursing my war wounds.

12:42 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

When I travel, I've learned to not bother trying to dress to impress anyone. I bring the most comfortable shoes I have. I only took one pair with me the entire month I was down under.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

kookla - thanks!

edit - if it was any place other than NYC . . .

2:59 PM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

NYC is still my fav city! I definitely would live there someday if the opportunity ever arised!

5:18 PM  
Blogger LA said...

That's it, Purl Soho. Duh. I love that you sought out yarn stores!

I was wondering what it was like flying in yesterday. I thought it might be scary turbulant, too.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Glad you had fun! Welcome back, you were missed.

1:11 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm very jealous. New York City is on my list of places to visit.

How many days were you there?

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home