Thursday, February 01, 2007



Dinner tonight - Spiced Zucchini with Couscous. I substituted cilantro for the fresh mint, and used whole wheat couscous. I added some chopped, grilled chicken breast, and this was delicious! Highly recommended for a tasty, pretty healthy, side dish or main course.

1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup plain couscous

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped1 garlic clove, finely chopped

1 lb zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

3/4 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Bring broth with 1/4 teaspoon salt just to a boil in a small saucepan, then pour over couscous in a bowl and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside until ready to use.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion with 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add zucchini and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and sauté, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low, then stir in coriander, chili powder, cumin, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Gently stir zucchini mixture into couscous and cool to warm or room temperature. Just before serving, stir in mint and lemon juice.

Makes 4 to 6 side-dish servings.

Gourmet

Quick Kitchen

September 2005

9 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Was it easy to make? I do love couscous. I may leave out or replace the zucchini though. Its not my favourite veggie.

5:34 PM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

Now I am hungry again.

6:01 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I'm starving with no food in the house, and that sounds totally delicious!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

mishy - it was easy, and some reviewers used other vegies - one lady used bell peppers, and I bet it would be good with cauliflower or maybe broccoli!

pixie - me, I'm always hungry!

la - yesterday for some odd reason I printed off some recipes at work and then actually went to the market on the way home . . .otherwise, I'd be in the same boat

6:42 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

This I am gonna try!! Thanks for all the great recipes you post!!

8:15 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm a pepper fiend! Peppers would be a great substitute.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

That looks much too healthy. It's snowing here and I'm in need of some deep fried macaroni and cheese!

7:19 AM  
Blogger kookla100 said...

I love couscous, but I'm afraid I've been a bad girl for the first month of 2007. Lots of takeout, carbs and extremely unhealthy snacking. Oddly enough, my pants are getting a little snug.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love anything zucchini.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home