Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Auntie Diane's Tour of Downtown LA, part two.



Work requirements brought me back to downtown LA again today, and that gave me the opportunity to visit historic Olvera Street. No one will be surprised to learn that my first stop was for lunch - a taco and tamale combination plate. The food and the salsa were very, very good. Next time, a cold beer would be the perfect accompaniment.

At the entrance to the "street" is this cross, and behind it is a series of shops, taquerias, and stands.

The highlight is Avila Adobe - the oldest house in LA, built in 1818. A review of the information provided at the Adobe reminded me how little I know about California history.

I imagine it is very crowded on weekends, but on a Wednesday, the area was filled with school kids on field trips. I didn't linger around too long, and then headed to the office. But I will definitely visit again.

7 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Yum! Its been too long since I have had mexican food!

9:53 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I haven't been to Olvera Street since I was a kid.

CA history is rich. I didn't move here until I was in 8th grade, and I regret that I missed the study of California Missions in the curriculum. Architecture in So Cal alone is worth an extended Learning Annex course.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh my, I'm salivating! :o)

11:23 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I'm hungry again--that looks good...

Shame on you, a fourth generation Californian and not knowing much of your history? Do you want me to make some recommendations for reading? :)

1:14 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I absolutely LOVE Olvera Street. Sorry I couldn't make it down to meet you.

1:22 PM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

it's amazing that olvera street has the oldest restaurant in los angeles there. it's an awesome part of the city's history.i love going when they are celebrating day of the dead.

1:38 PM  
Blogger People Power Granny said...

Read my insights about my ride on the LA Metro at peoplepowergranny.blogspot.com, and vote in my poll on why we have such a gap between the rich and poor in the USA.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home