Thursday, March 06, 2008

Earlier this week, Edit mentioned that she had ventured to Philippe’s The Original for a French Dip sandwich. It's been years since I've been there, but since I was in downtown LA this morning, I had to stop in for lunch . . . at 10:30 a.m. This year is Philippe's 100th Anniversary! They serve a hot mustard on all tables that makes the roots of your hair tingle, the bread is fresh, and the beef is lean. I was glad to find that it is as good as I remember.


I worked from home on Monday, and this is the view of under my desk . . .

8 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

What exactly is a french dip sandwich?

9:13 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

kat - "Philippe The Original is one of the oldest and best known restaurants in Southern California. Philippe's was established in 1908 by Philippe Mathieu, who claimed the distinction of having created the "French Dipped Sandwich." One day in 1918, while making a sandwich, Mathieu inadvertently dropped the sliced french roll into the roasting pan filled with juice still hot from the oven. The patron, a policeman, said he would take the sandwich anyway and returned the next day with some friends asking for more dipped sandwiches. And so was born the "French Dipped Sandwich," so called either because of Mathieu's French heritage, the French roll the sandwich is made on or because the officer's name was French. The answer is lost to history"

9:55 PM  
Blogger sage said...

This sounds like a place to check out whenever I find myself in LA again--which is generally about once a decade!

4:12 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Glad to see you made it to Philippe's! Man, I love that place. My mom and sister are coming for a visit this spring, so I'm sure I'll be down there again soon. I like to take visitors there.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Ah, the benefits of working at home!

10:05 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I love it when my kitties "help" me work.

I'm now hungry for a French dip.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

YUM! Thanks for the explanation!

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like I'm not the only one who hates computer wires everywhere. Cute picture.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home