Sunday, March 09, 2008


This is my surreal conversation for the day.
Phone rings . . .
Me - Hello
Him - is this Mrs. X (not my last name but probably the one before it in the phone book)
Me - this is Diane
Him - I'm calling from the California Firefighters Association, and . . .
Me - let me just tell you that I never give money in response to phone solicitations and I'd like to be removed from your call list
Him - you can only be removed from the list in exchange for a ten dollar courtesy donation
Me - no, you have to remove me at my request
Him - no we don't because I'm not soliciting anything
Me - yes you are. You're soliciting donations
Him - well we don't have a list
Me - then how did you get my number
Him - you're in the system
Me - then I'd like to be removed from the system
Him - ok, thanks for your time.

9 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

That's a new one, having to pay money to removed from the calling list!

5:06 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Interesting. and weird.

6:13 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Interesting--I hang up on solicitors all the time, but with my luck it'd probably be the fire dept calling to tell me my house is on fire :)

6:13 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Many charities will sell their list to others in the perpetual quest for cash. For every cause to contribute to, expect a fresh 10 to come asking!!

6:18 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

Now, how in the world do I get off the democratic elections' list?!? :)

8:54 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

I want to be removed from the system!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

way to outwit them! I always say "now's not a good time for me to donate money. Please don't call me again."

10:04 AM  
Blogger LA said...

These scammers are getting bolder and bolder.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my tenants (who I forcefully evicted this week) is a phone solicitor/scumbag. But for the police fund of whatever.

After owing me over 5 months rent, I had it with the legal way (which was allowing him to live for free at my expense) and walked right into the apartment, started packing his shit and walked him to the door.

One week later, nothing legal against me... should have done it my way in the beginning.

So yeah, hating the solicitors right now.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home