Sunday, February 17, 2008



I'm sorry, but we don't offer service at your location . . .

Admittedly, I live in a fairly obscure little beach town. But while it may be obscure, it is not in the middle of nowhere. Nevertheless, I am constantly confronted with companies that think my hometown simply does not exist.

Last night I attempted to subscribe to Sunday delivery of the NY Times and the LA Times. Despite the fact that I used to subscribe to the LA Times, and I frequently observe the delivery man throwing the papers from his truck in the morning, I was told they don't recognize my address. The NY Times accepted my application, but today sent me an email saying they don't deliver to my area - despite the fact that I've seen home delivered copies of the NY Times sitting in front of Sandra Bullock's house just down the street.

And it's not just newspapers. After receiving a flier left on my door for home grocery delivery by Vons, I logged on the check out the service. The first step? Enter your zip code. The Response? We don't offer deliveries to your neighborhood. I was told the same thing when I tried to order high speed cable through Comcast. So the next time I saw the Comcast truck in my 'hood, I made arrangements directly through him for installation.

So, for now, I'll just keep reading the Times online . . .

5 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Maybe you could go down to Sandra's house and ask her how she gets the paper?!? HAHA, if only!

1:46 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Verizon can't deliver DSL to my house, but that's because I live too far from their central office.

Is it because of the whole po box issue?

7:32 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - oh the po box is a whole nother problem . . . I have some 'yarn floating around the universe b/c they mailed it to my street address . . .

7:39 PM  
Blogger THN said...

Your not with Time Warner?

4:25 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

adam - now I am! It started out as Comcast, then Adelphia, now TW, but even when I had the cable tv, it was hard to get them to come install the internet hook up

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home