Tuesday, December 18, 2007





My most recent holiday listen in my iPod is Holidays on Ice, a collection of short stories by the fabulous David Sedaris. The stories are:


"SantaLand Diaries" - Sedaris' recounts his experiences working as an elf at Macy's department store. His elf name? Crumpet!


"Season's Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!" - A Christmas letter from the Dunbar clan. Mrs. Dunbar has had a busy year, what with the appearance of her husband's illegitmate Vietnamese daughter and her assuming responsibility for a crack-addicted baby grandson.


"Dinah, the Christmas Whore" - Sedaris's sister Lisa brings home a friend that delights the family.


"Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol" - A frustrated theater critic caustically reviews the local grade schools' Christmas pageants, from 1st and 2nd graders attempting the Nativity Story to 11 year olds dramatizing A Christmas Carol. It is perfection.


"Based on a True Story" - A member of the media begs a church congregation for information on a heartbreaking story involving a local resident.


"Christmas Means Giving" - Battling neighbors try to outdo each other with holiday generosity, in a perverse variation on keeping up with the Joneses.

These deliciously evil stories had me chuckling as the dogs and I took our morning strolls - I highly recommend this book!

9 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

I read it a couple Christmases ago. It's had me hysterical the whole way through.

Does Sedaris do the reading on the audio version? I love his delivery of his work.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - he does most of it, but Amy Sedaris does some, and Ann Magnuson (I think) reads the Dunbar family Christmas Letter

6:53 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

He is hysterical. One more for the wish list!

7:05 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

That story where he's an elf at Macy's is classic!

12:11 PM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

I've never heard of it....I'll have to check it out.

4:36 PM  
Blogger sage said...

This does sound great! It's a little late for this next--will have to remember it for next year at Christmas--thanks for the recommendation

4:47 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

OMG I love that BOOK!!! And now I have to download it from iTunes because both David and Amy read it. I seriously have died and gone to heaven.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I think I'll download it too. I love his voice.

11:34 AM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

david sedaris is da bomb!! and i love holidays on ice, if ya know what i mean.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home