Friday, December 14, 2007

I am just turning into an old softie this holiday season. True, you couldn't pay me to see "P.S. I love you", in which, I believe, Hillary Swank plays a young widow who finds love again, but I am eating up the sentimental Christmas stories.

The latest is A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg. In Redbird, we meet a bevy of kindly southerners who open up their hearts and their lives to, among others, an injured baby redbird, a northerner coming south to rest his scarred lungs, and to die, and a poor crippled girl. Sure, as the listener you know it is unlikely that it won't all turn well at the end, but Flagg gets you there in a wonderful manner.

And for this weekend, I have A Christmas Carol on DVD, and A Christmas Story (the book upon which the beloved movie about Ralphie and his desire for a bb gun is based), on my iPod. Just to make sure I don't melt into a big sugary puddle, I'm going to put off listening to A Christmas Story for now, and instead listen to Hell for the Holidays, by Chris Grabenstein, first.
And I know I'm alone in this, but I think the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie looks kinda cute . . .

7 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Great choices! Tis the season to be sentimental! I must admit that I'm intrigued by Alvin...but not quite enough to watch it. I'll be interested to hear how it turns out. Happy Friday!

2:51 PM  
Blogger LA said...

You're not alone on the Chipmonks. I've always had a very soft spot for them. When does it open? I'll go see it with ya.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Tiffany - thanks!

LA - You're a sport! At a minimum we need to raise a cup of Holiday cheer together!

5:38 PM  
Blogger LA said...

It's a plan, Diane.

BTW, have you seen the new issue of knitty?

It's a good one. I particularly love the entrelac headband (Quant). I just printed out the pattern and I'm pulling out a swatch I made Noro to reuse the yarn.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - that headband is really, really cute - and noro is perfect for it - can't wait to see you wearing it

9:28 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Sounds like a great book--after all "kindly southerners" are real treasures :)

4:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

During the wholesale pandora beads World War II, Art Deco jewellery was pandora silver beads a very popular style among women. The females started pandora glass beads wearing short dresses and cut their hair short. And cheap pandora beads such boyish style was accessorized with Art Deco jewellery. They used discount pandora beads long dangling earrings and necklaces, multiple bracelets and bold pandora beads sale rings.Art Deco jewellery has harshly geometric and symmetrical theme instead pandora earrings silver of free flowing curves and naturalistic motifs. Art Deco Jewelry pandora earrings sale today displays designs that consist of arcs, circles, rectangles, squares, and pandora sets triangles. Bracelets, earrings, necklaces and rings are added with long lines and curves.One cheap pandora sets example of Art Deco jewelry is the Art Deco new pandora bangles ring.Art Deco rings have sophisticated sparkle and bold styles. These rings are not intended for a subtle look, they are meant to be noticed. Hence, these are perfect for people with bold styles.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home