Monday, October 01, 2007

I've been loading up my iPod in anticipation of my upcoming travels to NYC and the Berkshires. New downloads include the new Foo Fighters Album, the soundtrack to Into the Wild, Sweet Jane by the Cowboy Junkies and Ulysses by James Joyce, which is about a zillion hours long. Ulysses is one of those classics, like Moby Dick, that one occasionally tries to slog through. You are told that it is a really important novel, but you don't know anyone who has actually read it, or if they did, liked it. Actually, the Irish tinged narration of Ulysses sounded pretty good, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Is there any classic book you've always been meaning to read?

And in the meantime, Hard Sun by Eddie Vedder off of the Into the Wild soundtrack is the song currently on repeat on my iPod.

9 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

I bet fewer people have read Finnegans Wake than Ulysses.

Thanks for the head's up on the Foo's album having the art and booklet. Dave Grohl really takes care of the fans.

7:51 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

What a great album!! Listened to it all week.

8:36 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I like that song and will have to see the movie--I haven't read Ulysses--and would be more likely to listen to it than read it, so let us know how it goes on the ipod. I "listened to" the 30 some hours of Moby Dick last year and really enjoyed it--having only read a kids version of it when I was much younger. I am looking forward to your thoughts about hiking the AT in MA. I hope the leaves are still in color.

5:12 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

There are too many classic books that are on my reading list. Ah, reading for pleasure. Thems were the days.

I love the new Foo Fighters album. It's on my mp3 player as well.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

I've had a copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin for about 15 years that I've always meant to get around to, what with being an English major and all... but I just can't bring myself to ever do it.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

OK, I'm a little ashamed to admit that I haven't read anything by Joyce. I keep meaning to get around to it! And, even though I really like Faulkner, Joyce kind of overwhelms me!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Oh I love Eddie! I'll have to get that album. I have about 15 books piled up by chair, in various states of being read. None are classics though. I never have much luck with those.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Sounds like you've got everything in order.

Great time of the year for NYC!

2:12 PM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

I've always wanted to read the Great Gatsby.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home