Wednesday, May 02, 2007



Did you have any teachers that touched your life?

Two of my high school teachers come to mind for me . . .

The first taught an advanced literature class. On the first day of class, he distributed a lengthy list of books from which we were to each choose for ourselves a few to read. After the student finished a book, you would meet with the teacher, who would then discuss it with you. I particularly remember having a very enlightening discussion with him about A Clockwork Orange. The class made me appreciate books so much more, and also the value of a good discussion.

The second teacher taught a Social Studies class. The class was combined with another for "team teaching" and emphasized active learning. For instance, we re-enacted the trial of the Rosenbergs for spying (I served as the judge - sadly, they were convicted again . . .). I recall this man being incredibly kind to me when my father died during that school year, and also that he paid me the nicest compliment I have ever received. He wrote in my yearbook, that should he have a daughter some day, he would be pleased if she turned out like me.

Which of your teachers made the biggest impact on your life?

8 Comments:

Blogger GetFlix said...

Generally speaking I really didn't like my HS teachers, but there were a few I had good relations with.

11:57 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Like getflix, I didn't like most of my high school teachers, but there were many wonderful teachers college and grad school in college and grad school that influenced me--especially three philosophy profs in college

4:33 PM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

I think my biggest lessons came from playing sports...not a teacher. The things I learned:
-How to be competitive without being cocky.
-How to gracefully act after a loss/disappointment.
-How to be a part of a team.
-What hardwork and dedication means.
-Learning from my mistakes.

4:45 PM  
Blogger ffleur said...

I had always had trouble with numbers. I was in grade 3 before I could tell time, in grade 5 before I knew my multiple tables.

In my small town, one school was K to 7 and then another school for grade 8 to 12.

Needless to say, going into grade 8 at a new school with "big kids" (grade 12 students) was terrifying.

But to make it worse, in my grade 8 math class, they administered a test to break us up into an "advanced class" and a "less-advanced class". I was horrified to be put in the latter class. It was full of delinquents, kids who had failed and were two years older then me etc.

The teacher was having a breakdown, he sweated profusely, told everyone to "shuuuuudup" and hid behind the door while the principal told us to behave. It was a very strange and scary experience to say the least.

I wasn't misbehaving but the delinquents knew they controlled that teacher. Soon enough he went to a sanitorium or somewhere and we got stuck with the gym teacher who subbed for a few weeks. Then, for lack of finding a better teacher, the principal took over the class.

It was a brilliant move. The principal was a natural at teaching math. At least to me. I finally understood it, it made sense for the first time in my life. By the end of Math 8 I had done really well. And I loved Math.

By grade 12 I was taking an honours math class (where I got an A) at the same time tutorting a girl who was in Math 8.

That man really changed my life. He showed me I was smart and that I could understand numbers. It just took the right teacher.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

flix, sage - I had a lot of those teachers too . . .

kat - what sports did you play? those are great lessons

ffleur - great story - thanks for sharing!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

My high school French teacher, actually. She was just a spectacular teacher. She understood her material SO well, but she also understood how to convey it. She got a class of 30+ students to pass the AP test. She meant a lot to me, personally, but I think that was due to the fact that she was just so brilliant at what she did.

12:31 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

My college teachers were fantastic. I was pretty introverted in high school though.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My tenth grade English teacher Miss Gaffney was incredible. I love her. I only had problems with my fifth grade math teacher and seventh grade geography jerk.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home