Friday, April 27, 2007




You are all invited to a birthday party at Sage’s Musings! Please stop by . . .




April 28th - my birthday in progress . . .

6:15 am - Nanners checks to see if I'm awake, and ready to get up and feed her and Noodles. By playing dead, I manage to sleep in until 6:18 am

6:22 am - my first cup of coffee. By giving the girls their frozen "Kongs" (rubber toys filled with dog food and frozen overnight), I buy myself a few minutes of peace to enjoy the java

6:45 am - head out with the dogs for a 2 mile walk. It's a nice, cool, quiet morning

8:00 am - re-plant a few pots with Petunias, and transfer a couple recovering hibiscus to the front planter

8:15 am - second cup of coffee!

8:45 am - mmmmm - breakfast - Trader Joe's whole wheat french toast and Morningstar Vegie Sausage.

9:00 am - the first guilty pleasure of the day - a lavender bubble bath and beginning the latest book in the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency books - The Good Husband of Zebra Drive. Alexander McCall Smith's delightful books about Mma. Ramotswe, Mma. Makutsui and Mr. JLB Maketoni are things to be enjoyed and savored

9:45 am - Hanna and Samantha prepare for their first naps of the day, exhausted from being dragged out at sunrise for a re-creation of the Bataan Death March. Here Hanna yawns

10:45 am - beautiful tulips are delivered from my mother, and my brother stops by and offers to buy me lunch later. I'm surprised to see that the flowers were ordered from Proflowers.com, because my mother makes it a point of honor to never use her computer.

12:45 pm - lunch is good mexican food with my brother, and he gave me a new dvd player (my old one has been kaput for quite some time); No more watching dvd's exclusively on my laptop!

2:30 pm - decide to forego a pedicure today, and hang out on the couch for a couple of hours instead, watching a bit of tv, and working on knitting the world's most complicated baby blanket. Noodles works on tearing apart the blue bunny toy and Hanna naps on the floor next to the couch

6pm - dressed and ready to go! I think I'll pour myself a glass of wine while I wait for friends. No, Nanners and Noodles will not be joining me for a drink. In fact, the only alcohol that I (inadvertantly) found out that Hanna likes is Apple Martinis. A few years ago, on New Year's Eve, some friends and I were ringing in the New Year with Apple Martinis. Any time you had your glass in your hand, or setting on the coffee table, and if you weren't paying attention, you'd turn to see Hanna taking a slurp. This happened a couple of times, until next thing, Hanna had quietly retreated to her dog bed looking a bit confused. As far as I know, that was the beggining and end of her drinking career.

12:02 am - had a great dinner with great friends. Came home, walked the dogs, and now I am going to bed. Thanks so much to all the incredibly thoughtful people who made my 46th birthday a memorable one. Memorable because it reminded me that I am blessed with good health, relative prosperity and good friends. Good night, and see you all tomorrow.

19 Comments:

Blogger GetFlix said...

That was cute. A very nice gesture.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Kevin Stilley said...

Best wishes for a most blessed celebration!

12:17 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Happy birthday Diane

4:12 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Happy Birthday, Diane! And the girls weren't trying to bug you on your big day, they just wanted to spend as much time with you as possible. You know, get the celebration started early...

Any special plans for today?

7:14 AM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you have a wonderful day!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

flix, kevin, sage - thanks all!

mishy - going to dinner later with a few friends . . . maybe treating myself to a manicure/pedicure today!

kat - thanks!

8:17 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Um...it's 9:30 and I just woke up. How do you get so much accomplished??

And Happy Birthday!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - anything I don't get done by noon, pretty much doesn't get done at all . . .

how do you get Wally to sleep 'til 9:30???? inquiring minds want to know!

9:46 AM  
Blogger ffleur said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sweets!

Your dogs are so cute and you write about them so lovingly. Sounds you are going to have a wonderful day. Enjoy!

10:43 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Sounds wonderful so far!

Happy, happy birthday, Diane. Enjoy the rest of your day!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy HAPPY Birthday, Diane. I know you're going to have a great day! :)

12:38 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Happy Birthday! Hope your 21st Birthday is the best ever!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

ffleur, la, joe, ryan - thanks!

1:23 PM  
Blogger v said...

Happy B-Day Diane! Sounds like a really fun day! Have a wonderful B-Day dinner!

1:27 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

. . . and many more!

(I skipped the first part of the song)

Happy Birthday Diane

4:00 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Sounds like a nice birthday with good family.

Nanners and Noodles sound like lots of fun!

Michele sent me.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Looks like you had a great birthday today!

Here's wishing you manymanymany more.

xoxo

7:30 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - Wally has the Bladder of Steel. He almost never wakes me unless he's sick. Also, I was up really late the night before, so he HAD been outside at 2am.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Happy Belated Birthday to one of my favorite bloggers! Hope it was relaxing and wonderful.

Your dog has good taste, I love apple martinis too!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home