Tuesday, August 08, 2006



I generally have two books going at once - one in print, and one audible book. la was kind enough to lend me Esperanza's Box of Saints, and I am really enjoying it. Like many Latin American authors (e.g., Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende) the author incorporates magic into the story of a woman who's daughter supposedly died during routine surgery. Never losing hope, the mother believes her beloved daughter has been spirited away and forced into a life of prostitution, and she takes off in search of her in the brothels of Tijuana - or so it goes so far . . . the writing is enjoyable, as are the characters, and I can't wait to find out if and where she finds Blanca.

I'm also listening to the third in the James Herriot series about his life as a veterinarian in rural Yorkshire in the late '30s, early '40s. I read the books 20 years ago, and enjoyed them immensely then. They are equally enchanting as audible books. They are wonderfully sentimental, and I find myself choking up during my daily commute to and from work with his varied stories about a simple life, a love for animals, and the ties that bind us all together.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

ffleur - it's the same actor who played Herriot in the BBC series - he does a nice job.

6:08 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I'm glad you're enjoying Esperanza.

I'm a big James Herriott fan. I can barely get through a single story without bursting out into tears.

I read one of his pieces at a canine funeral once, the one where one of his clients asks if dogs go to heaven. It's so sweet.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - I remember that story - great choice!

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home