Sunday, August 10, 2008

So, do you want the good news, or the bad news?




The good news is that woman who answers the phone at 6 am at the Emergency Vet Hospital says it's nothing to worry about. The bad news is that there is a lot of fluid draining from Hanna's sutures. My rational mind can see that the sutures look good, and my rational mind knows that because the fluid is clear, it's not a sign of infection. My irrational mind wants to cry, and tried last night to make an improvised doggy bandage from a sanitary pad and some medical tape.


FYI - medical tape won't stick to dog fur.


We were up at 5 am, partly because I wanted to check on the status of Hanna, and partly because Sam and I were sleeping at an odd angle. I got up about 3 am to use the restroom and check on Hanna, and when I got back into bed . . . it broke. One corner of the 45 year old bed frame came apart. I think it can be put back together with my brother's help, otherwise, at least it isn't an uncomfortable slant.
We've been cooking this morning, and watching the second season of Weeds on Netflix. The confetti corn muffins came out awesome, if I do say so myself.
Now, Sam is enjoying the sun
Hanna is snoozing under the table
And I'm working on a sock

10 Comments:

Blogger maggie moran said...

Ah poor Hanna. I guess you can look at the bright side. Sam could be licking Hanna's sutures as per my nasty dogs. ;D

2:30 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Poor Hanna! She sees her normal vet tomorrow for postop follow-up, right? Clear fluid is a good sign, yes. I'd also inspect the incision to see if it looks red or if it's painful or hot. You can also put Neosporin on it. She'll probably rub it off, but even if a thin layer stays on, I believe it's helping.

On the bright side, it sounds like you finally got that excuse to get a new bed. How can anyone argue?

9:26 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Aw, those doggie cones always look so uncomfortable. Hopefully she won't have to wear it long.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Oh puppy! :-( How's she doing today???

10:24 AM  
Blogger kookla@work said...

Aww!!! Hanna look miserable in that thing. Maybe because Elizabethan collars are so last year in pooch wear.

The bed breaking makes me nervous every time Pelegrim gets in, it makes an awful racket. I better climb under there and reinforce it.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

LOL, it's a good thing it is a good slant!

Hope Hanna is feeling better soon, poor thing!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Poor Hanna--and poor you! Hope she gets better soon. Those satellite collars are tough.
(Fred sends her get well wishes, too.)

8:06 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I wouldn't be worried about your girl's physical condition. However that collar may ruin her socially. The canine community is very unforgiving when it comes to a fashion faux pas.

Hope she is doing well!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh dear, just finished getting caught up on the doggies.

Sending much hugz and kisses out to them, and their mom, as well.

xoxo

2:57 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Sam seems to be taking everything in stride.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home