Friday, August 01, 2008

Yesterday was not a happy day for Nanners and Noodles. We started out the day with a trip to the Vet prompted by Noodles' need for her annual shots plus a rabies booster. The good news is that Sam has lost a couple pounds and slimmed down. The bad news is that going to see the Vet absolutely terrifies her. I heard she had some bad experiences with doctors before she came to live with Hanna and me, but nevertheless, she is such a good puppy that tries very, very hard to be brave. The Vet could tell how panicked she was because her eyes were bulging and her pupils were open as wide as they possibly can be. The Vet - who is very gentle - commented that if dogs could have heart attacks, Sam would be in full cardiac arrest. That panic, plus the after effects of the inoculations left her lethargic and not her usual happy self.





Fortunately, she is feeling better today.




Oddly enough, Hanna and Sam both have slight infections in their right ears, so for 10 days I have to try to rope them into letting me stick a tube of medicine into their ear canal. Sam is supposed to get 1-2 drops, and Hanna 2-3. In reality, it's all I can do to stick the tube in and squeeze. Of more concern, Hanna has an ugly mole like tumor on her tummy that has grown about 3 times in size over the last month, so Thursday we're going in to have it removed and biopsied.


On the way back from the doctor's we stopped at the grocery store. For some irrational reason, whenever I get back from the grocery store I feel the perverse need to carry all the bags up the stairs in one trip. Frequently, by the time I get to the front door, I'm so desperate, that I drop some of the bags on a chair on the front porch. When I did that yesterday, the bag containing a bottle of chardonnay rolled off the chair and scored a direct hit on my right foot's middle toe. I thought I broke it, but I think it is just badly bruised. I'm pretty sure you can still hear my exclamation of "OH, FUCK!!!!!!" echoing through town. Why is it that only cursing can help dissipate pain? Yelling anything else just won't help at all?



Oh, and below are the three hats completed for the Knitters for Obama drive to provide hand knit hats and scarfs for homeless veterans. I'm almost done with a scarf to add to the pile!
Scarf completed!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your puppies will be all better soon. My dogs are strange - they love to go to the vet. To them, it's just a chance to have a lot of people make a big fuss over them.

And I hope your toe is feeling better. Did the bottle of wine break?

10:28 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

lynn - the wine did not break! Hanna the Lab likes the vet too - it's just the little one that gets scared!

10:35 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I wonder if your vet would be willing to rx a little doggy Valium for you to give Samantha before she visits him? Poor little thing. :( Hope Hanna's mole is nothing.

I just found out yesterday of yet another hardcore Republican voting for Barack!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I have a habit of trying to carry everything in at once too, half the time I think I'm going to drop something. Thank goodness the wine didn't break though!

My cats HATE going to the vet, especially Spike!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Poor girls! That expression in the second photo is priceless. Hope the biopsy turns out OK.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home