Wednesday, February 06, 2008



At the end of Super Tuesday, it appears that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are almost in a dead heat - Obama trails Clinton by about 80 delegates.

I actually followed the primaries pretty closely last night at various online sites, particularly, the New York Times. It seemed a bit disingenuous for various media outlets to be "calling" states for either candidate, when most, if not all of the states, award Democratic delegates proportionally. Also disturbing was the divisive comments from Democrats on the NY Times live blogging of the primaries. The vicious infighting among the Dems can only help the GOP.

It looks like John McCain will be the Republican candidate. I liked McCain better 8 years ago, before he started to kiss up to Jerry Falwell, Bob Jones University, and the rest of the far right. I think McCain has a very, very good chance of winning the presidency, particularly if Clinton is the Democratic candidate. Moreover, his reputation as a maverick is deserved.

In a contest between McCain and Clinton, it is McCain that will win the vote of almost all independent voters. By contrast, Obama has an appeal to independents that Clinton lacks. I also don't think we should ignore the excitement that Obama is generating among voters.

Personally speaking, I'd vote for Clinton, but I'd campaign for Obama.

6 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

Good analysis. You sum up my thoughts pretty spot-on.

What would be interesting is if one becomes the other's running mate. Or if Al Gore becomes the running mate.

I agree that Obama has a better chance of beating McCain. He's more inspiring and represents change better than Clinton does. If there's one thing this country needs, it's drastic change.

11:01 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I hate it when blogger eats my comments--let's see what was I saying... Something about you have a well thought out post and my biggest problem with McCain is his support of the war (which Clinton isn't exactly clean on and the Obama wasn't there to vote on... Over all, I'm not real excited about the elections, they're too far away and I think we need more radical changes including a change in how we select our nominees... I'm just getting old and cynical (but then I was that way when I was young too)

8:16 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Right there with you.

8:42 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I still think it's too early to even guess.

9:32 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I dont know much about your politics, but I know I'd bang Obama until the cows come home... wait, were you making a serious and smart political statement? Shit.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

It's Barack all the way for me... no way in hell will I vote for Hill.

Time Magazine poll shows Barack with an 8-point lead over McCain, but Hill and McCain are tied.

Wake up people!!

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home