Saturday, February 02, 2008


I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday with a holiday gift card I'd received and had a fun time buying some new books. Books by two old favorite authors - Reginald Hill (he writes a series of detective books featuring 2 English policeman, Dalziel and Pascoe) and Ruth Rendell, the first lady of British mystery writing. I also picked up Oil by Upton Sinclair, the book upon which the film There Will Be Blood is based. October is by Robert Littell, the author of the Company, a fabulous fictionalized account of the history of the CIA, Russell Banks is an author who was featured in a display at the store, but with whom I am otherwise unfamiliar.


I also received in the mail some sock yarn I'd ordered . . .


Things are better since my previous, whiny post . . . the girls as good as gold, mom is on the mend, and although my sinuses/teeth are still a bit sore, I'm grateful to have good health.

Here's a photo of the back of my mom's dog's head as we were driving to deliver her to my mother yesterday.

9 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Nothing like buying yourself a few treats to feel better!

Glad to hear things are going better. Enjoy the wknd!

8:56 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I didn't realize Upton Sinclair wrote the book upon which they based the movie "There will be blood" Let us know what you think of the book--it sounds like something I'd enjoy. Glad everyone is mended and doing better

9:20 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Is that sock yarn called Socks That Rock? It looks yummy.

It's great fun to go to a book store with a gift card. Sounds like you enjoyed it as much as I do.

Glad to hear everyone is feeling better. Your mom's dog is hysterical. Does s/he get along with the girls?

10:45 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

kat - definite retail therapy - even better with a gift card!

sage - thanks! I'll you know about the book!

la - the green and brown yarn is hand dyed and I found it on Etsy.com - a cool site where crafters sell their wares. Matty does get along with the girls, and she like hanging out with them,and thinks their cool, but my mom thinks Hanna will eat her, even though Hanna approaches her in a totally friendly manner . . .

11:55 AM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

two things: you're gonna be a readin' machine! and your mom's dog looks like she went to britney spear's hairstylist!

ps isn't it great to pull those gift cards from xmas out? they're like fool's gold!!

9:47 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Poor Matty probably wants to play with Hanna more often.

10:03 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Matty looks like a fun guy!!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I'm glad you are feeling better and got yourself some treats. But really your last post didn't sound whiny to me in the least. I know I cry like a baby when I get a paper cut. Suffering in silence is overrated.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Good you're getting better and that you used your gift card.

Doggie going back to your Mom...

priceless!

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home