Sunday, July 01, 2007


For Sage . . .


I started making home made dog food about 18 months ago. The dogs seem to be healthier, Hanna is now at a good weight, and their coats are softer. I did some research on the internet, and the consensus was that the food should be about 40% protein, 30% starch, and 30 % vegetables. (Other recipes call for 1/3 of each). I make a big pot every weekend, and put part in the fridge and the rest in the freezer to thaw during the week. The recipe varies some with what I can find at the store, but basically is:


1.25 lbs. ground turkey

12 oz can of tuna packed in oil

6 eggs

2 lbs. of brown rice

2 lbs. of frozen peas and carrots


Cover with water, and cook for about an hour. I also may throw in any leftover fruits and vegies I have in the house.


Organ meat is good for the dogs, so I occasionally substitute chicken livers for the tuna. Be careful about adding cauliflower as it tends to cause canine gas. :-)


I also supplement this with Trader Joe's dog multivitamins, and Hanna gets Trader Joe's glucosamine supplement (she has a bit of arthritis).
The dogs love it! They still also love their dry dog food, which they get when I run low on the home made variety, or when I am on vacation.
Trisket would love it!


4 Comments:

Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Canine Gas was the opening band at last year's Summer Rock Festival. They really stunk.

11:48 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Thanks! I will have to try this when I get home--I wouldn't think of giving a dog califower--but now I really won't do it.

12:39 PM  
Blogger LA said...

LOL, d.o.m. dan!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I remember my mom cooking liver and onions for herself and our dog. No one else would eat it, but Coco went nuts for it. She lived to be 18 years old.

LOL Dan, you little wisenheimer!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home