Friday, June 22, 2007



I came home a bit early today, after a long week of work, and found Young Frankenstein on TV. Young Frankenstein, the 1974 comedy film directed by Mel Brooks, stars Gene Wilder as the title character. Teri Garr, Cloris Leachman, Marty Feldman, Peter Boyle, Madeline Kahn, Kenneth Mars, and Gene Hackman also star. The screenplay was written by Brooks and Wilder.


Young Frankenstein is number 28 on Total Film Magazine's List of the 50 Greatest Comedy Films of All Time, number 56 on Bravo television network's list of the "100 Funniest Movies", and number 13 on the American Film Institute's list of the 100 funniest American movies of all time. In 2003, it was deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" by the United States National Film Preservation Board, and selected for preservation in the Library of Congress National Film Registry.

It is one of my favorite all time comedies, and one of the few movies for which I can remember quotes, including the following:

[Frankenstein, Igor and Inga in front of HUGE castle doors]

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What knockers.

Inga: Oh, thank you doctor.

Or, after the monster awakens and acts just a bit strange . . .

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Igor, would you mind telling me whose brain I did put in?

Igor: And you won't be angry?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry.

Igor: Abby someone.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Abby someone. Abby who?

Igor: Abby Normal.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Abby Normal?

Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA? [shakes and grabs him]

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE TELLING ME?

What is your favorite movie comedy?

11 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

It is a great movie, I remember going out on a date to see it when it first came out and I was in High School.

My favorite comedies would probably be "The Blue's Brothers" or "Airplane"

7:50 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Mel Brooks is a comic genius!! Blazing Saddles is close to the top of my list.

9:04 PM  
Blogger THN said...

A couple of underrated comedies for my taste include Top Secret, PCU,and Summer School.

Oh, Showgirls, also. Hilarious.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Young Frankenstein definitely tops the list. I have probably seen the movie 20 times. There are just so many funny bits.

Blucher! Blucher!

My father maintains that Mary Feldman died because his eyeballs popped out.

4:03 AM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

One of my favorites is Animal House. Also, I thought Monty Python and the Holy Grail was really funny at the time, but it seems a bit silly now.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Overboard is one of my all-time favorite comedies, but there are a ton of them (Slapshot, anyone? Spinal Tap?). Too hard to pick at times.

Young Frankenstein is a CLASSIC, and in a good way, too.

Michele sent me; have a great day!

7:08 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I love that movie, especially the Abby Normal part. Also love Planes, Trains and Automobiles, What About Bob?, Groundhog Day, Airplane, Zoolander.

7:32 AM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

My favorite is What about Bob?, Tommy Boy and Christmas Vacation.

10:14 AM  
Blogger ffleur said...

I love Mel Brooks movies so my list includes:

Young Frankenstein
SOB

but I also love:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Trainspotting (it is a comedy)
The Tall Guy (trust, its hilarious)
O Brother Where art thou?

10:51 AM  
Blogger v said...

Yeah, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is a hilarious classic. And who knew Teri Garr was such a hottie.

One of my favorite comedies is DR. STRANGELOVE. An exceptional satire that still holds up.

9:14 PM  
Blogger LA said...

The Ref
Mixed Nuts
40-Year-Old Virgin
Old School

I just saw Knocked Up, and it was damn funny.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home