Saturday, June 09, 2007


I don't know if I ever mentioned that in 2002, I participated in a 3 Day, 60 mile walk to raise money for the Avon Foundation's Breast Cancer Crusade. I will state unequivocally that it was one of the most difficult, and also one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. I am proud to say I raised about $2,600, thanks to the generosity of my friends and family. And at the end, I swore I'd never do it again . . .
These days, the walks are 40 miles over 2 days, and take place all over the country. Two caught my eye - the Los Angeles walk in mid September, 2007, and one in New York City in October. The LA walk is actually in Long Beach, so it would be very convenient - I could sleep at home (rather than in a 2 man tent), and hitch a ride there both days . . .
The New York City walk is a week before I am heading to the Berkshires for a week of hiking along the Appalachian Trail. Either walk would help get me into shape for hiking about 10 miles a day. But how cool would it be to walk 40 miles around Manhattan? Then I could spend a few days in NYC before heading to Massachusetts for the hiking the Berkshires trip . . .
Crazy idea? Or super cool?

9 Comments:

Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I recently sponsered a co-worker in the Revlon Run-Walk LA for Breast Cancer. I think this was a 5k or 10k event, and sounded much shorter than what you described in your post. Regardless, I think you should go for the walk around Manhattan. That would be totally cool!

6:07 PM  
Blogger sage said...

just quickly checking in as I have limited internet access where I am at... I knew you said you were hoping to hike the AT in MA, but I didn't know you were going to do 40 miles. Do you know what part? Around Mt Gaylord (I think that's the name)? When I get home I'll have to pull out my guide books and my journal from when I hiked the northern 1300 miles of the AT and completed the trail--which was 20 years ago this summer. Let me know if I can answer questions.

6:46 PM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

I would definitely do the NYC walk!!! That might be a good excuse for me to head back home and make a stop at my aunts in Manhattan. What a great cause!

9:31 AM  
Blogger LA said...

AWESOME IDEA! NYC in October is fantastic, and there's nothing like walking around that city. Go for it!

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy idea AND super cool. I should do something similiar. Oh and Michele says hi. ;-)

9:00 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

You're coming here? That's too much. I agree with with LA, if you're up for it go for NYC.

As a poor college student, I walked everywhere. It's pretty flat. And the air in October is cool and clean.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

SUPER cool. That is THE way to see Manhattan. Take pictures!

8:53 AM  
Blogger v said...

Even though the 40 miles is over 2 days, I'd say a couple weeks of light training might be the safest way to proceed (at least to negate any soreness). That said, it sounds like a great plan in order to get ready for your AT hike.

And, yeah, take lots of pics!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Super cool idea :)

I'm doing the 3-Day in Tampa this year.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home