Saturday, April 21, 2007


I'm out in La Quinta this weekend for work . . .
It was raining yesterday, but it's nice out today. I have the afternoon off, but couldn't get an appointment at the hotel spa for this afternoon. It's warm enough to head to the pool, but I had a margarita at lunch at the always yummy Las Casuelas, and I'm feeling lazy.
While I was driving out here yesterday I started a new audio book, Innocent Traitor - a historical novel about Lady Jane Grey. Lady Jane was the grand-niece of Henry VIII, who was "Queen" for nine days. Poor Jane was the pawn of others who wanted to control the throne after the death of Henry's only male heir, Prince Edward. Those who wanted Jane to assume the throne assertd that Henry's daughters, Mary and Elizabeth were "bastards" by virtue of Henry's divorces, and thus, were unfit to wear the Crown. Jane was "persuaded" to assume the throne by her parents and husband who wanted to be King by virtue of his marriage to Jane. Jane refused to make him King, even if she were to serve as Queen. However, the ascent of Jane to the throne was not supported by the people, and Mary became Queen in her stead, and as one would expect, Lady Jane lost her head.
The book is written by Alison Weir; I have enjoyed her biographies of the Six Wives of Henry VIII, but presumably, this being a "novel" she will take more liberties with the story. but I am enjoying the story so far.
Back home tomorrow, and I hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

10 Comments:

Blogger NY KAT said...

Too bad about the spa, but a margarita would do!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree... hope you're having a great time, Diane:)

4:35 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I hope you have time to do fun and enjoyable things while you work. I wish my job called me to work in the desert. It rained here in L.A./O.C. most of the day yesterday too.

6:20 PM  
Blogger ffleur said...

wow that landscape is so interesting and different from what I'm used to. Enjoy your break and the book.

I've seen the Lady Jane movie starring a very young (I think it was her first movie) Helena Bohnam-Carter and the gorgeous Cary Elwes.

7:30 PM  
Blogger sage said...

La Quinta, ain't that a hotel chain?

I hope you have a good trip and if you're having margaritas for lunch it can't be all work. The desert mountains look appealing.

7:45 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Road trip!!! I am not really sure where you are, but I love the scenery.

9:22 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Ffleur - LaQuinta is out near Palm Springs - it's the middle of the desert.

Diane - Ahh, in a previous career, we used to have week-long sales "meetings" in Palm Springs. It's one of the few things I miss from those days. Enjoy!

10:15 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

La Quinta and no golf?

11:51 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Have a drink for me, too!

Enjoy your weekend... it's gorgeous here!!

10:20 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I love those mountains... How long was your drive to La Quinta? Will you be able to finish your audiobook on the drive home?

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home