Monday, April 16, 2007


Because I am a geek/avid reader, I generally have 3 books going at any given time:

An audible book in my car;

An audible book on my iPod; and

A regular form book that I read, at a minimum, in the bathtub every day.

The two audible books I am currently listening to are I, Claudius and Dracula. These books, at least for me, exemplify the bad and good that the reader of the book can bring to the audible book experience of the listener. I, Claudius is read by Derek Jacobi, who reads all the male parts in a bored, foppish, British style, and reads all the female parts in a bored, foppish, slightly retarded, British style. I am 12 hours in to an 18 hour book, and am not much enjoying it.

In contrast, Dracula is read by Robert Whitfield, who brings to life a variety of characters. Dracula is told in the form of reading excerpts from the journal, diaries and correspondence of the main characters - Jonathan Harker, his bride Mina, the doomed Lucy, Dr. Seward, and Prof. Van Helsing. (I'm not sure how they came up with the casting of Hugh Jackman as Van Helsing in the movie of the same name . . . the character in Dracula is more of an elderly professor, than a dashing rake).

The last book I am reading is one of the Inspector Lynley mysteries by Elizabeth George. Many of these have been made into BBC tv movies, and I have found that I am able to enjoy both. Twice I have read one of the books after seeing the BBC production, but in both instances, they changed whodunit from the book.

What are you reading????

12 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm re-reading Pride and Prejudice for the trillionth time. I read in the bath every night too. I'm a bath addict.

5:23 PM  
Blogger sage said...

On my ipod, I've just started the fourth section of Vietnam: A History (I wrote about this earlier--it's a total of 36 hours in length). As for books, I'm nearly finsihed with W. G. Sebald's "Austerlitz," and David James Duncan's "River Teeth: Stories and Writings" (that's my bedtime reading). And then there's my history area--currently reading "Last Stand in the Carolinas: The Battle of Bentonville"

6:31 PM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

For some reason I always buy business audio books, I really should get a few fiction ones.

6:40 PM  
Blogger ffleur said...

I'm on a Sabbatical from serious stuff. Its bodice rippers and sex/romance for me right now.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

mishy - I love P and P, and the BBC production

sage - those sound like some interesting historical readings

nykat - do you have any favs?

ffleur - have you read The Other Boleyn Girl?

8:34 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Magazines and newspapers. Not glamorous, but practical.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I always like to have a bunch of books going at a time too. Right now I'm perusing a few books on Viking history, some trashy novels, and still struggling to get through Moby Dick.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

I just finished The World to Come by Dora something-or-other. It was fantastic. I highly recommend it. (Bonus: it's now in paperback.)

10:10 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Amy Sedaris' "I Like You." Half the beauty of this book is the photographs, so I wouldn't recommend it in digital format unless it comes with jpegs.

5:07 PM  
Blogger ffleur said...

No. Does it have lots of sex?

8:59 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

ffleur - it's got Henry VIII and all the lords and ladies bedding everyone in sight!

9:42 PM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

My favorite book that I've listened to is The Art of Innovation. It was an extremely motivational book and very interesting.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home