Monday, March 19, 2007

The new season of Dancing with the Stars started tonight . . . there are eleven couples, let's see how many I can make it through . . .








First up - Ian Ziering with 2 time champion Cheryl Burke - he's a bit stiff dancing the ChaCha, but could turn into a contender.








The first lady out is Paulina Porizkova - she's still a beauty, and surprisingly likable in the candid video segment. She dances a graceful fox trot. I can hardly wait for the first shots of Ric Ocasek cheering her on from the audience - maybe next week?













Apparently, Billy Ray Cyrus stars in "Hannah Montana" with his real life daughter - what happened to "Doc"? Cyrus describes himself as a Kentucky Hillbilly, which doubtless has those hillbillies with televisions cringing across the south. We have our first candidate for most likely to be voted off. He looks dirty, and he can't dance a lick.






Leeza Gibbons is stiff as a board, and will be reduced to tears by her partner, Tony Dovolani, within 2 weeks - she scores even lower than Billy Ray.













Joey Fatone is hoping to lost "a lot" of weight so he will no longer be known as Joey Fat One (I'm not making this up.) Maybe not dressing him in white pants and vest would help. He and his partner do a fun Saturday Night Fever, but is it a Cha Cha? The judges love it, and immediately crown him the star to beat in the competition.













Laila Ali may not float like a butterfly, but she is graceful and sexy.











(I just took the girls out for their bedtime pee, and missed someone . . . . .)*









Next up, some beauty queen I've never heard of "Shandi" - her partner is kind of effeminate, which makes the banter about their great "chemistry" a tad awkward.



















This season's ex-pro-athlete is former NBA great Clyde - the Glide - Drexler. At 6'7" tall, he is 15 inches taller than his partner, but is a pretty decent dancer. I'd put him higher than Jerry Rice, but maybe not in Emmitt Smith territory.











The moment we have been waiting for - Heather Mills - who describes herself as an animal rights campaigner hoping to inspire the disabled. Everyone is wondering - will the leg fly off in a spin? It will not.





























The last dancer is Apollo Anton Ohno, the Olympic speed skater. He is partnered with an 18 year old professional dancer, who is following him around the world to train with him while he competes in skating competitions. They both decry the lack of practice time, but it is clear that he is a natural, and they are adorable together.

The top picks for the Mirror Ball Trophy? Fatone, Ali, and Ohno.




Note to Getflix - The Ramones were inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

* I missed John Ratzenberger - Cliff from Cheers!

7 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

I flipped around and made sure I saw Heather. I noticed how in the clips before her dance they showed her falling all the time. Nice way to pump up the drama. Of course, she was quite balanced and stable on her feet.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I just can't force myself to watch this train wreck of a show. But I would expect Joey to be somewhat good as a dancer since he did a lot of it while he was with N'SYNC.

12:38 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Thanks for updating and reminding me that I didn't miss much. I actually watched TV last night--something about the technological achievements of France on the history channel.

7:13 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I flipped to this during the commercials for 24 and prison break, but wasn't impressed with any of the ones I saw. I made sure to see Heather Mills though. What was up with her fug hair and makeup?

8:51 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh, didn't even know it was on. Just checked TV book and see it was on the same time as "Two and a Half Men", which I simply can't miss! :+)

10:07 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I can't imagine a more excruciating punishment than being forced to watch this show. Ditto Ryan on Fatone.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

All - none of you missed much! we'll see how long I can stomach this show - I watched the last two seasons, but no one is jumping out at me as the guy or gal I want to root for . . .

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home