Saturday, September 30, 2006



Oh sure, the Saints' victory over the Falcons on Monday night was watched by millions. Sure, it signified a re-birth of the City, and rung in the re-opening of the Superdome. Sure it was an opportunity to celebrate with performances from Green Day and U2. But today I found out the real significance . . . the Saints' victory sealed my win in last week's local football pool, bringing me more than $300!!!! I'm not much of a gambler, well, except for NFL pools, March Madness pools and twice a year poker games with friends. But whatever I do win goes in to my vacation fund coffee can, and I take that money as spending money on my annual vacation. I'm not sure where I'm going yet this year (maybe wolf watching in Yellowstone or a walking trip in the Berkshires), but it's good to know I'll have some spending money when I get there!

7 Comments:

Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Congrats Diane! It's good to win those pools. I've done it a couple of times, but not with winnings like that. My net was around $100. This was at least 8 years ago, when I was a regular player in the pool. During a time when I was able to watch 3 football games every Sunday, that is when the Rams were away - I was at their home games for 2 years in a row. But I digressed.

What bummed me out about those "football years" was when someone with no knowledge of football won. Don't take this the wrong way, but the winnner was usually a woman who choose teams based on a particular player, or the team color; that kind of thing. Even though I don't know you, I just know you are knowledgeable about football, and made fact-based seclections, thus deserving your winnings.

5:03 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Opps - typo. Thats "selections".

5:05 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Dan - thanks! I do try to bring some knowledge to my picks, and I do check out the odds, injury reports etc., but admit that dumb luck comes into play alot too.

6:04 PM  
Blogger THN said...

We will be sitting at the bar at Taco Surf tonight. We can go through that $300 easy.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

adam - I'll rain check you on a couple of rounds at the Surf - and congrats to Jennifer for catching the fly ball!

2:14 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Congrats on the win! So now you can go back to getting manicures and the boots are paid for! ;)

8:22 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - can you believe the timing?

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home