Tuesday, January 06, 2009


Technology is NOT my friend . . .
On my way to work I drove through the Bank of America ATM to deposit a rent check. It has one of those fancy-schmancy ATMs that read the check, and that does not require an envelope. Imagine my surprise when it took the check, but told me it couldn't process my deposit, nor could it return the check. Thoughtfully, a phone number was provided.
I drove to the front of the bank and went on inside. Checking the computer, the teller could confirm that they had no record of me making a deposit. Turns out that the check fell through some crevice, and had to be fished out of the back of the ATM. It all turned out ok, but what would have happened if the bank had been closed when I made the deposit?
Over the weekend, I received an electronic phone message from Dell, notifying me that my order would be delayed and would ship on January 9. Only problem? I didn't place an order with Dell. I cancelled my account with Dell about 3 years ago, after I learned that there is no possible way to reach a Dell representative by phone who can assist you with any problem. My fear was that I'd been the victim of identity theft. I sent Dell an email, and left a voice mail message with their delayed shipping department.
After receiving a response to my email, (which failed to address my concerns), I called the phone number provided. I did eventually reach a person in India, who, when I explained my concerns, transferred me to another extension, where I was informed by a recording that the system was down, and to call back in a few hours.
This morning I got another phone call - electronic - from Dell. This one asked me to confirm that I was "Thomas" and gave me the option of saying they had called the wrong number.
What are the odds that this has been resolved?

8 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

I hope you get it worked out--I hate only being able to talk to machines.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Sometimes it's so frustrating to deal with some companies! I hope everything gets resolved with Dell!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

We've always had Dells but I hate trying to talk to anyone... you wind up in India and I can't understand their accent!

grrrrrrr!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I hate having to talk to people in India, but I do find the American names they give themselves funny. For some reason it really cracks me up to hear, "Hello, this is John Kennedy speaking, may I help you please?" in an Indian accent.

8:44 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Oh man, that Dell situation does NOT sound good. Hopefully, it's just a wrong number and not ID theft. Did you check up on your credit cards?

10:31 PM  
Blogger kookla100 said...

Last week, I could see someone's ATM card had slipped into a crevice of the machine. Hopefully you had both situations resolved. We outsource our tech support to India and we get nothing but complaints about the language barrier. So veddy soddy.

Also, Happy New Year!! I'm up late with a hacking cough and just catching up on your blog.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Good luck resolving this one!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I find this stuff as annoying as you do , Tommy.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home