Wednesday, July 09, 2008

From the Associated Press:



A Japanese labor bureau has ruled that one of Toyota's top car engineers died from working too many hours, the latest in a string of such findings in a nation where extraordinarily long hours for some employees has long been the norm.


In the two months up to his death, the man averaged more than 80 hours of overtime per month, according to Mizuno.


So as a reminder to stop and smell the roses, plumeria and jasmine . . . today's triumvirate of flowers are from my three hibiscus bushes . . .

8 Comments:

Blogger EditThis said...

That equals up to 60 hrs a week. I've worked that before (and more) for very short stints - I can't imagine that being the norm!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

With my new job, I barely have to even work 40 hours. I have to admit, I miss working longer hours and having more deadlines.

You are right though, you need to stop and enjoy life!

7:15 PM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I wonder if Japan has any workers' comp laws, and if so, whether they favor the employee or the employer. Regardless, that engineer should have stopped to smell the flowers more, and worked less.

8:33 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I could NEVER work 60 hours a week. That's a sad story, he worked to death. Wow.

10:40 PM  
Blogger sage said...

that's sad, but then I often work overtime like that, but I do get lots of time off too.

You are truly a master gardener--one of the things I love about the N. Cal is how the road from SF to Sacramento was lined with shurbs in bloom

5:59 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I just saw that the guy was only 45 years old.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

That does it. I am refusing to work any more overtime for health reasons. :-)

And maybe I will go crazy and attempt to plant another bitty rose bush. (ha ha.)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Pret-ty flowers!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home