Sunday, March 23, 2008


One of my favorite authors is David Sedaris, and my favorite story of his, "Jesus Shaves" involves Easter. While living in France, Sedaris enrolled in a french class taught by a woman inspired by Attila the Hun, and one day, Sedaris and his and his fellow classmates attempted to explain Easter in french, with all the glory of their limited vocabulary, to a muslim student:
"He call his self Jesus and then he die one day on two . . . morsels of . . . lumber."
"Easter is a party for to eat of the lamb, one too may eat of the chocolate."
"The rabbit of Easter. He bring of the chocolate."
However you intend to spend the day, have a Happy Easter. It's a glorious spring day here in Southern California. And fingers crossed that my mother included some malted milk eggs in my basket.

8 Comments:

Blogger EditThis said...

That is one of my all time favorite Sedaris moments, too! I think someone also says something like, "He lives with his father in the sky."

8:46 AM  
Blogger Princess in Galoshes said...

Happpy Easter!

10:12 AM  
Blogger LA said...

One of many Sedaris classics.

Happy day!

12:26 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I remember that story! And why did you have to mention malted milk balls? My mom no longer sends me Easter baskets (actually I don't think she's ever sent me one!) Now my mouth waters and with a daughter with a milk allergy, there's less candy for me to consume. Happy Easter Diane.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Hope you had a wonderful Easter!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Diane, that is also one of my favorite David Sedaris stories as well! I hope you and your family have a fantastic Easter!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Norris said...

Horray for 3:10 to Yuma, puppy baths, David Sedaris & malted milk eggs! Hope you had a good day!

7:26 AM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

It was a good day. (Even with the snow.)

Happy Easter, Diane!!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home