Wednesday, March 28, 2007



Showtime is on a role . . .

I've always been interested in 15th and 16th century British History and have read a number of books on that period - including many by Allison Weir and Antonia Fraser, such as their books on Elizabeth I, the Six Wives of Henry VIII, Mary, Queen of Scots, the Wars of the Roses and Faith and Treason - the Story of the Gunpowder Plot.

So, I was pretty excited to see that Showtime has produced a series on Henry VIII - but a young Henry - starring Jonathan Rhys-Myers as the King and Sam Neill as Cardinal Woolsey. I watched the first 2 episodes on Showtime's website and found the series to be very well done. We see the young King go from being influenced by the humanism of Sir Thomas More, to the political cunning of Machiavelli, and bedding lots of ladies of Court along the way . . .

The series premieres this Sunday on Showtime, and anyone who enjoys history, or even just BBC type programming will likely enjoy it. Highly recommended!

11 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Don't have cable but love history and *do* watch everything on PBS.

6:13 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Is this with Jonathan Rhys Meyers? Everyone seems to be talking about this show! I might have to cave to the peer pressure and rent it (I don't get PBS).

10:21 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I don't get showtime, but the movie sounds interesting.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I'm 25 minutes into the first episode. I just put it on pause to post a few things and check out the blogs.

So far I like it.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

karen and sage - you can watch it online from the Showtime website

mishy - it's on Showtime!

joe - good, huh?

5:59 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I just recently read an online article about Mary Queen of Scots. Did she get a raw deal or what?

8:24 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I love any kind of history type drama . I'd watch this.

8:43 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Oh, right. Now that I re-read your post, I see that you did say it was on Showtime. I need to cut down on those mid-morning mimosas!

8:47 AM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

diane, as a lover of all things from the UK, this is at the top of my to watch list. i am so thrilled that i have koo&grim's whole house to myself this weekend to get naked and imagine myself as one of henry viii (jonathan rhys meyer's) wives.

ps the naked part is because i'm going to be eating buttered popcorn and i don't want to get my clothes all mussy.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

This show looks great! I love King Henry VIII and the torid personal history with him and Anne Bolen and the various bitches he bedded and married.

JRM - Total hotness

PK - I don't even know what to say.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

flix - she did indeed - it seems to me she basically got in over her head in the political intrigue of the times, and lost her head as a result

pru - I do too, and this is a good one

kitty - now that sounds like a fun weekend! and this series is populated with very attractive people

ryan - I love these stories too!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home