Thursday, March 01, 2007



Here is a better photo of the pygmy owl that was sent to me by one of our guides, Linda, who was very adept at taking photographs through the spotting scope. When not leading tenderfoots into the wilderness, she has a very challenging job - she works with Defenders of Wildlife as a liaison between the environmentalists and local ranchers trying to encourage the ranchers to use non-lethal means to discourage predation of their livestock by wolves. Unfortunately, the killing of a single sheep can sometimes lead to the elimination of an entire pack of wolves. Linda and her husband, Nathan, also run their own adventure company.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger SandraD. said...

Hello Diane,
Sandra/Yarnivore here. I could not find your email addy so I'm getting back to you this way! I belong to 'audio-to-go'. They have a pretty good deal, and I get the entire book rather than just a few discs all at once. I like that.
Thanks for visiting my blog!
I really like the owl.
Sandra/Yarnivore

8:47 PM  
Blogger SandraD. said...

As for the baby bonnet. It is angora that I got at a yard sale. The pattern is from the website vintageknits.com. It is a set, sweater/mittens/bonnet.
Sandra/Yarnivore

8:49 PM  
Blogger LA said...

That owl is looking right at the camera!

"Yarnivore" is a great name!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I enjoy seeing your wildlife pictures since I rarely venture into the woods myself. Nature makes me itch.

8:48 AM  
Blogger v said...

Another amazing photo. And LA is right, the Owl is looking right at the camera. It probably is used to having its picture taken.

And what a nature hero your guide Linda is. Mucho props to her and her husband.

8:59 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

That's a really cool picture. While I know nothing about owls, my uncle is an owl expert but lately he's been focussing on penguins. When he's not studying the owl populations in Northern Ontario, he takes people on guided tours of Antartica to penguin watch.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home