Monday, December 04, 2006


Believe it or not . . .

Mississippi is going on the offensive against the negative image in which it apparently thinks "Hollywood" portrays it, with its new "Mississippi . . . Believe It!" campaign. Although the campaign strikes me as "the lady dost protest too much, me thinks", I also think that the playwright Tennessee Williams was brilliant, Grisham is entertaining, Faulkner is overrated, and that I have been remiss in never having read anything by Eudora Welty.

10 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

I seem to recall a line by Willie Morris (another fine Mississippi author--read "North Toward Home" or "Taps" or "My Dog Skip") pointed out how Mississippi has an indirect correlation between the percentage of illiterate and the number of fine authors

4:36 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

C'mon down to Mississippi. We ain't tooo dumb, Alabama's dumber n us.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

sage - I'll check out those books! And an interesting correlation . . .

pru - that's kind of how this campaign strikes me - hey, we're not nearly as bad as they say!

7:48 AM  
Blogger THN said...

It's like a Conan O'Brien skit or something.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

adam - you hit the nail on the head!

2:56 PM  
Blogger dit said...

File this under strange. Is California running a "we aren't as different as you think campaign?"

3:22 PM  
Blogger ffleur said...

I've always wondered it Tennessee was Mr Williams real first name or a nickname?

11:10 PM  
Blogger THN said...

For the record, the "Good Old Boys" campaign was my favorite.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

adam - agreed! ("look we have even elected some of them black folk and woman folk - oh and an Indian Chief!"

10:01 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I read Richard Wright's Native Son in college. I read something bu Eudora Welty in college, too, but the title escapes me.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home