Saturday, November 11, 2006

Wilt Chamberlain is known for many things - for being a dominant NBA player, including scoring 100 points in a game, for having played for a year with the Harlem Globetrotters before he became eligible for the NBA, and for claiming to have slept with 20,000 women. My favorite fact about Wilt is that at the time of his death in 1999 at the age of 63, he was learning to play the saxophone. Even as we age, I believe it is important to try to learn new things.

It’s not quite time for New Year’s Resolutions, but I’ve been thinking about setting some personal goals for 2007. These are three ideas I have for something to achieve in 2007:

1. Learn to play a musical instrument - guitar, ukelele or clarinet. I bought a guitar a few years ago, but haven’t learned to play it. The ukelele seems like an easier alternative, and with the clarinet, I’d be prevented from singing along, which is a good thing.

2. Work to improve my golf game. I like to golf, but play mostly on executive 3 and 4 par 9 hole courses, and would like to improve to where I am comfortable on a standard 18 hole course.

3. Become fluent at another language. I speak Spanish well enough to get by while traveling in Costa Rica, but my grammar is atrocious.

9 Comments:

Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I haven't given much thought to New Year's resoultions yet.

I used to play clarinet in my high school band. In part because of that, and my general grumpy attitude, my wife and kids call me Squidward. If you've ever seen Sponge Bob Square Pants you would know who he is. Trust me, it fits.

I'm a disgrace to my race: I'm Mexican-American and can't speak Spanish. I can say "dos mas cervezas, por favor" though!

5:25 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I just try and focus on getting three things done a day and usually am happy if I hit one. And New Year's resolutions seems simply unattainable.

The new language goal sounds fun. Especially if the end game is travel!!

7:11 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Sounds great! I have my 101 in 1001 list, and I'm finding it an easy way to set goals with a reasonable timelimit. I won't get them all done, but I know I've gotten more accomplished because of it.

Which language are you thinking about?

7:23 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

dan - then you know the key phrase for travel in Mexico! I'll have to check our Squidward . . . :-)

flix - travel is always the goal!

mishy - probably work on my Spanish but Italian or French are possibilities . . .

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi D,

Personally... I like the fact he was also working with me on his story .. ahem.. screenplay ;)

The film will be called "GOLIATH".

2:31 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Remind me to dig up an old photo of my dad w/Wilt.

6:39 PM  
Blogger LA said...

p.s. My dad was was 5 foot 6.

6:39 PM  
Blogger v said...

I think those are great ideas. Though thanks for making me feel lazy. And also for making me feel talentless.

I tried to learn the trumpet in elementary/middle school but I was horrible.

I tried to pick up golf but I can't hit the damn ball with an iron.

And I'm terrible with languages. I can barely speak the tongue of my parents. I can kinda speak british. Lol.

Anyway, great goals D! And I'm sure you'll be far more successful than my attempts.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

la - love to see it!

v - too funny, but I bet you were better at all of these than you think!

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home