Sunday, November 19, 2006



I'll be cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year . . .

I've managed to talk my mother into driving to my house this year, though I'd say it is 50/50 if she will actually get in the car when it comes down to it. The family Thanksgiving menu is pretty set and I'll be sticking fairly close (with a couple of additions) to the tradition - turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potaotes, corn, yams and dinner rolls. I may make a pumpkin pie, but I'll for sure make "Easy Pecan Pie" from the Delta Gamma cookbook. The sorority gave all senior girls a copy - the book must have been put together in the '50s by nice midwestern ladies, and is heavy on jello and casseroles, but it does include a GREAT pecan pie recipe:

1 unbaked pie crust

1 C. dark Karo syrup

1/2 C. sugar

1 1/4 C. melted butter

3 eggs

dash of salt

1 tsp. vanilla

1 C. chopped pecans

Beat eggs well. Add remaining ingredients to eggs. Put mixture in pie crust, and bake slowly in moderate 350 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Nuts will rise to the top and form crust.

I also recommend placing it on a cookie sheet for baking, to keep the oven clean.

The second addition to the menu is green beans with onions and bacon. The basic recipe for this dish is to cut up a few bacon slices, saute until nearly done, then add diced onions and stir until cooked. Add steamed green beans - but here is the twist I learned from Rachel Ray - add a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar. Stir and cook for another 30 seconds.

The vinegar and sugar add a subtle twist.

I'm off to the grocery store!

12 Comments:

Blogger PixieGaf said...

Sounds delicious!

2:32 PM  
Blogger prettykitty said...

sounds delicious. i used to love to help cook on turkey day.

i'm skipping thanksgiving festivities this year since i'm on a very strict diet due to food allergies and i've become mostly vegan, except for the occasional seafood, and i'm planning to spend the long weekend doing something not centered around food!

have a wonderful t-day!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

kitty - I like the idea of vegan, but I think I'd have more trouble giving up dairy and eggs than the meat . . . do you feel healthier?

4:13 PM  
Blogger v said...

I must say that Pumpkin Pie rules all the pies in the universe. Though Pecan Pie is also up there. And I never knew how the top crust of a pecan pie formed. Thanks for answering that mystery for me.

Anyway, your Turkey Day menu sounds delicious. I hope you and your family have a wonderful T-Day!

4:43 PM  
Blogger sage said...

My mom makes pecan pies with karo syrup. It's so sweet, you got to have very dark coffee to get it down. have a great Thanksgiving day

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pecan pie is my favorite thing in the world... so what time is dinner?

About vegan... I was very strict and never sick and was healthier than I ever was in my life... that being said, I love my cup of coffee with cream and sugar and I'm sorry but I love a nice piece of steak now and then. I get allergies once and while now that I'm back to eating everything.

I'll definitely go back if I ever get any health problems... but will not give up shrimp.

5:47 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Happy Turkey day, Diane! Is Thursday the official day?

7:52 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

mishy - thanks! yes, T-giving is this Thursday

guys - this pie is very, very rich, but if you like pecan pie, it's super easy and very, very good

10:12 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Pumpkin and pecan pies are my favorite thing about Thanksgiving. I could live without turkey. Meh.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I opened my big mouth about trying this recipe and now I'm expected to make a few pies for Thanksgiving.

4:01 PM  
Blogger norm said...

Norm is hosting Thanksgiving for the first time ever!! The current count is 14 adults and five children!!

6:46 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Diane - Sounds wonderful! What time should I be there? ;)

Flix - Good luck!

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home