Thursday, November 16, 2006


300 channels, and nothing on TV

It seems to me that when I was a kid, and had the prime time choices of ABC, CBS and NBC, there were more tv shows that I watched and enjoyed. Now, there are very few, and I spend many evenings watching old Law & Order reruns. There are a few shows though, that I do try to watch each week.

The big tv night for me is Sunday evening when Midsomer Murders, Dexter, and The Wire are on the Biography Channel, Showtime and HBO, respectively.

Midsomer Murders (pictured) is a British police drama set in the fictional English County of Midsomer. I’ve been renting the old episodes on netflix, and watching those year by year. I’m currently up to 2001, and the Bio channel is showing new episodes on Sunday evenings. I’ve written before about Dexter, and it continues to be very entertaining. The Wire is another of HBO’s gritty series. The corruption and problems of Baltimore are the focus, this season dealing with the inner city schools, drug trade and politics.

My network viewing is mainly limited to Criminal Minds,
The Office, and
Law & Order: Criminal Intent . Criminal Minds is in its second season, and just gets better and better. The show revolves around the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit, which travels the country helping to solve serial killings by profiling the killer. Even after 6 years, I still like the quirky Detective Goren on Criminal Intent, and the Office is the funniest show on network tv.

This rather short list may explain why I’ll meet by 2006 goal of reading 6 books a month . . .

9 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I love Criminal Minds and completely agree with you on The Office. I saw a preview clip of tonight's episode and it was very funny.

Team PAM!

12:25 PM  
Blogger v said...

I don't know how many of you have caught "30 Rock" with Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin but it is pretty hilarious. I've caught like 2 episodes but NBC, starting tonight, will air "30 Rock" right after "The Office". For me, it is a great pairing of two very funny shows.

And Diane, have you watched the "Prime Suspect" series with Helen Mirren over the years? The final series (season 7) is airing on PBS. I bet it airs opposite your Sunday shows. But it is a great detective procedural. If your Netflix queue ever gets low, be sure to check it out.

3:53 PM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

I love all those shows but The Office is by far my favorite!

4:04 PM  
Blogger sage said...

after reading, share your book reviews with us, okay?

4:40 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I have a love/hate relationshop with network television. They really never allow shows to grow and develop. If it isn't a hit out of the gate, then it is canned. That is why I try not to start watching new television shows. I have however fallen into the trap that is "Brothers and Sisters," but it looks as if this series will be a winner.
My network viewing is Law & Order: SVU, Gray's Anatomy, and Desperate Housewifes. I have given up on ER, but have heard that it has gotten better this season with the infusion of Uncle Jesse, John Stamos.
I love HBO programs, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Big Love, Deadwood, and Six Feet Under are excellent shows.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

mishy and pixie - The Office is too good to be true!

v - I do like 30 Rock and Prime Suspect too - - I think I actually have some of it in my queue - right now from netflix I'm watching Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - a British spy mini series based on the John LeCarre book


sage - will do!

ryan _ i'll check out bros and sis

5:48 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I love Dexter and the Office, as well. In fact, check out my blog tomorrow for Reasons Why The Office Is So Damn Good. I haven't watched the British Show you mentioned, but though it's over for the season, you might catch some reruns of Life On Mars on BBC as well. Very enjoyable. Looking forward to the David E. Kelley American version in the fall of 2007.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I love the show "House" because of sexy Hugh Laurie and I never miss "America's Next Top Model" so Tyra can teach me to be "fierce!" Most of the time I forget the TV scheduals of when stuff is on that I like and just settle for whatever is on when I turn on the TV. Oh "The Cobert Report" always makes me laugh.

Can't believe I've never watched an episode of "The Office" when so many people have told me how good it is. I'm so lame.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started out just a random fan of Brothers and Sisters... but now I'm totally in love with the show.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home