Friday, June 06, 2008

One of the advantages of living in Mayberry by the Sea is that our electricity goes out on a very regular basis. After awhile, you stop re-setting the message on your answering machine, (mine is permanently on the default mechanical voice), and you leave your VCR on permanent blink.
Here, Hanna waits for the house to get darker,
while Samantha Jane Noodles contemplates the fact that Basenjis are number two on the list of dumbest dogs.

Of course, they are number one on the list of sweetest dogs. And maybe also number one on the list of dogs that are able to make the most annoying screeching noises that will lead to every living creature with ears in the surrounding area giving in to whatever the basenji wants to make it be quiet.

I've been a good streak with my reading lately. I'm totally digging Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer in my car - a modern day take on the Count of Monte Cristo. I also just finished Getting Stoned with Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost, recounting his days living in Vanuatu and Fiji.

At work we're trying to pound out a big project due Monday. The good news? I made the boss bring in tacos for lunch. Yes, I can be bought for two chicken tacos, chips and guacamole.

7 Comments:

Blogger maggie moran said...

Are these black outs scheduled to save money or do they just happen?

3:28 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Maggie - they just happen. I think this last one was maybe caused by a car accident, but because we are at the coast, utilities corrode, and the phone system etc, is a bit sketchy.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Your dogs are just so adorable!

I can be bought for food too!

5:52 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I don't think we have the same power outage trouble you have, but when it rains, there is so much static on our phone lines, it's not even funny.

I like the shadowy pictures of the girls.

6:32 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I love Troost - his books always make me laugh.

6:51 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Sorry about your lack of power--sometimes I joke that I'm attached to a 3rd World power grid

8:18 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

I'm sorry Diane. I was thinking CA is really going green. Have a happy electrically filled weedend. ;D

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home