Wednesday, May 21, 2008



Please allow me another rant.


(Long term readers of Nanners and Noodles [Hi, LA!], will recognize my posts this week as being tinged by the Diane-really-needs-to-get-away-before-she-kills-someone syndrome that occurs the week before I head to Maui for some R and R).


Let me start by saying that I am fortunate enough to NOT be one of the millions of uninsured Americans. As a self employed person, I have my own health insurance for which I pay more than $3,000/year. The policy I have suits my needs. It covers standard annual exams, such as an ob-gyn well woman exam, an annual physical, and a mammogram. After that, I have a significant deductible that, (knock on wood), I never come close to satisfying. So, in essence, besides standard care, it would cover a major medical situation.


Until I meet my deductible, I pay cash for my prescriptions, and I cannot even describe for you how this sends the clerks at the pharmacy into a tizzy. My best guess is that this is the reaction you get when you try to cash a welfare check, or show up at an emergency room needing help without having the all powerful proof of insurance card.


I'm guessing my income is four times what these little snots make, and they act like I'm standing at the freeway on-ramp asking for spare change when I confirm that I will be paying CASH for my prescriptions.


I can't imagine how they treat folks who are truly struggling to make ends meet.


Note - the fact that as I write this I'm waiting for prescriptions to be filled for a uninary tract infection and a sinus infection may be contributing to my black mood.


On a happier note - look, my pink calla lilies are back!

5 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I hate when store clerks treat people like that! I am definitely with you on this one.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing. by the way, medical privicy is protected under HIPAA.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of pharmacy techs, and you may be right if we're talking average salaries.

I know it's not my place to give you orders, but you're one of the nicest people who visit my blog on a regular basis and I'm looking out for you. If you have sinusitis, do NOT skip a single dosage of medicine. Take all of those pills as directed until they're gone. I don't care if they don't seem like they're working. Just do it and you'll be fine in 8-10 days.

Keep your chin up. In a few more days you can leave all your problems behind for a week. :)

10:30 PM  
Blogger maggie moran said...

Diane, take thee to a beach. Now!

;D

4:28 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Oh, I'm SO SORRY you're feeling poorly right before your trip. And I concur with cali tejano... sinus infections have a habit of lingering, so finish your antibiotics, even if you feel better.

That SUCKS that the pharmacy techs treated you so poorly. I always use the pharmacy at my hospital and I'm wearing a name badge that marks me as a fellow employee, so I never get bad treatment from them. That said, however, I've been treated poorly at high end stores when I'm dressed down, and it absolutely enrages me.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home